Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the early 90's we had done just that, started a new Fleet in Division 11. Fleet #452 was located in Waretown, NJ opposite Barnegat Inlet. The next closest fleets were in Shore Acres and Spray Beach, but we loved our sailing area too much to move to those. Over the years we sponsored several points regattas and our annual around Long Beach Island distance race. As time went by, the modest sized fleet (16-18 boats) began to dwindle as life's changes came along.

Today, the fleet is inactive and most everyone has lost touch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some fella named Floyd Adcock re-activated Hobie Fleet 33 in Surfside, Texas and it seems to be thriving. I've heard that many Hobie Fleets around the country have either dwindled or have become de-activated. Why is Floyd and Fleet 33 so sucessful? Perhaps he'll be willing to share with us the formula for their success. Apparently it's not enough to just have the desire and energy to get the job done. You also need a good plan - knowledge and experience.
www.hobiefleet33.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We have restarted Fleet 259 in California over the last year. The Fleet really wasn't that big to begin with years ago. Currently we have 20 semi-active sailors and about 7-8 very active sailors.

This a few things we did and are working on....

-Changed the designation of the Fleet from Paso Robles (small town) to California Central Coast. There just aren't as many boats as there was 15-20 years ago and a broader geographical designation gives us a bigger net.

-We have worked to find boats!!!! I tend to travel the state for my job and when ever I am out of town I look for boats that need adoption. It has worked. we have six or seven people sailing boats that have new happy new owners. I am fortunate to have a large back yard and I have kept a H14 and H16 for new sailors want to learn. I am happy to say both boats are being used by new fleet members and they are motivated!

-We have started a new web page. www.hobiefleet259.com This at least is a place to send people for information.

-I have advertised fun sails on craigslist in the boating area. In this add I list our web site and put a few links to some cool youtube sailing links. We have pulled many people to the beach this way. I get their email address and add them to my Semi-monthly email. We currently have 40 email addresses on our list and it grows often. We just set up a Google group.

-In the spring we are going to Set some boats up at the Farmers Market. In San Luis Obispo there is a very large Farmers Market every Thursday. 2 to 4 thousand attend every week. I talked with Pat Porter the other day about how to cover our presents with NAHCA additionally insured policy (required by the city) so that we can attend.

-We are planning an event to attend some fun regattas put on by the San Luis Obispo Yacht Club in Sept and Oct. Most of our new group has not raced before and are still learning how to sail much less race. These are low key events on Sundays that people don't have to be stressed about or spend a lot to participate.

With no dealers being local I believe we will be limited by boats. The desire to sail is there!!! The quality of remaining boats is low. Our sport is not dead but somehow we need an infusion of affordable boats. IMHO.

Don't forget......We are the original Green watersport. Our sport should be growing! Laws, facilities, venues, clubs should be moving toward supporting sailing. Our equipment options should be getting better, broader, and more available. ok, I will get off my soap box.

Get out there and sail guys! That is the best way to grow our Fleets.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's awesome!! Congrats for all of your work with Fleet 259. If anyone else has any good ideas, please post them here. Specifically, ideas regarding youth activities and involvement would be very useful.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

update, pat contacted me and we are in the process to get fleet 30 reinstated!!!

I am trying to get fleet 30 going again down here in Southern California. We have about 12 sailers. my parents were members back in the 80's with fleet 30. I have contacted the hobie email with no response and just tried again today. i have been looking online to find the applications for starting the fleet but i can not find them anywhere... I have been trying to contact the person that is listed as the contact for fleet 30, with no success. i have heard from some guys from our group that he is no longer involved, but still has some equipment (trailer, regatta gear and such). Please let me know of where i can get this or forward it to me...
[email protected]

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever