Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get back into cat sailing and I can get my hand on a Hobie f18 tiger from 1998, complete with the spinnaker and the road trailer for about €1600/ $1900.

The only issue reported is that the boat has 2 leaks, 1 in each of the daggerboard case( I have some pictures here https://photos.app.goo.gl/5jyVSLgRMe3EZgyz6 ).

The current owner tells me that the leak was caused by them running in a sandbank which caused a previous repair to fail.
It currently is taking too much water to be sailable.

I haven't seen the boat in person yet but is it even worth moving forward, knowing about the leaks? How much of a pain would it be to fix a leak in what sounds like a painful place to work on.

Is it worth it after taking into account the price ?

Thanks in advance for your advice !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m sure it can be fixed, but I guess it really depends on whether or not you’re looking for a fixed-uper or looking for a more turn-key boat. The repair would probably involve cutting an access port in the deck to gain access to the inside of the hull in order to re-glass the trunk to the hull and then also grinding out the broken glass on the outside and re-glassing the outside. But unless you’re familiar with fiberglass repairs, you would probably be looking at paying for someone experienced to do the work since this isn’t really a beginner project. So factor that into the cost of the boat also.

sm