Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Assembling an old Tiger
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I just purchased an old Tiger with wings, I'm very excited, in few days i'll dismount it to allow it to be trailered in my sailing club.
I'm a bit concerned how i will assemby, I don't know the boat.
I got the hobie Tiger assembly manual but it's for a more recent version, surely the trampoline is different, mine is fixed on the hulls while the description on the manual is for the newer version that is only fixed on the crossbars.
The spinnaker has no snuffer but is launched from a bag fixed on the trampoline.
I don't know if there are more mounting differences for other parts.
My Tiger is serial 017 year 02.
Any suggestion is welcome and if exists an older version of the Tiger assemby manual that would be really great.
Thank you very much,
I've created a
Google foto album for the details.
Happy sailing

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
i am very excited with my new Tiger, i'm doing some repairs and then i'll assembly it, looking very much forward to sail it!
I am checking how to assembly the front crossbar, when i see the hobie assembly manual https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/tiger_032020.pdf looks like there are two washers only on the upper side (nylon washer on top and metal washer below) and the 2 nuts on the lower side are tightened directly on the inside of the hulls without washers.
It looks strange to me, is it really so?

Thank you very much

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is what I see in the assy manual.

Take the front crossbar (with dolphin striker). Place it in its support so that the trampoline track faces the rear of the boat. Insert the two bolts. Pass your hand through the inspection port to position the nuts and washers onto the screws photo). Fasten loosely. Lift the left hull, and follow the same steps as for the right hull. Do not fully tighten the screws.
***Respect same order for the washers as assem- bled at the delivery***

I would not install any nuts/bolts in direct contact with the fiberglass without a washer in between the nut and the fiberglass. Otherwise the nut will wear into the composite.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
This is what I see in the assy manual.

Take the front crossbar (with dolphin striker). Place it in its support so that the trampoline track faces the rear of the boat. Insert the two bolts. Pass your hand through the inspection port to position the nuts and washers onto the screws photo). Fasten loosely. Lift the left hull, and follow the same steps as for the right hull. Do not fully tighten the screws.
***Respect same order for the washers as assem- bled at the delivery***

I would not install any nuts/bolts in direct contact with the fiberglass without a washer in between the nut and the fiberglass. Otherwise the nut will wear into the composite.

sm

Thank you srm,
Yes, i also wouldn't place nuts and bolts directly tighten to the fiberglass, maybe on the inside it's enough a metal washer and on top a metal washer with a Teflon./nylon washer underneath so that the plastic washer is in contact with the fiberglass