Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a new F-18 from Hobie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since a certain time, a number of rumors have been apparently circulating concerning a new Formula 18 project. In order to reply to this situation, today, 13 August, Hobie Cat Europe is pleased to announce that the project of a new 18 foot catamaran specifically for Formula 18 racing is in development. This project is using perhaps one of the best naval architechts in the world currently, particularly in multihulls, and a well-known sailmaker, in close collaboration with the worlds best F 18 racers, combined with the full technical and marketing staff of HCE. The latest high-tech developments will be used for this project.

The development of this new production F 18 should be seen as a new project, to exist along side the current Hobie Tiger, International ISAF Class, in which the next Worlds - currently under consideration - is Lake Garda for the year 2010.

More information will follow, as this new project nears production at Hobie Cat Europe in Toulon, France.

In the meantime, Have a Hobie Day!

Jean-François Collet John Dinsdale Michel Corigliano

www.hobie-cat.net ici pour vous désinscrire Copyright HCE 2008

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Saw this on Catsailor as well. Will be interested to see what comes of it, and if this boat makes it to the US. Tigers are just starting to catch in fire here in the NW; though they do some F18 sailing as well, I don't think too many will jump away from the Tiger one-design onto this new boat.

Plus, imagine the cost. Stupid Dollar vs. Euro! ;)

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I don't think too many will jump away from the Tiger one-design onto this new boat.

Plus, imagine the cost. Stupid Dollar vs. Euro! Wink

"We" can fix that, have HCE send the Tiger molds over here to the HC U.S.A. plant :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

J_Eaton wrote:
"We" can fix that, have HCE send the Tiger molds over here to the HC U.S.A. plant :wink:

There's another set of molds I'd like to see over here as well :wink: If they don't build it all carbon.

The problem is that HC & HCE are two seperate companies. HC buys the boats from HCE and then re-sells them. Doesn't make much sense for HCE to not sell ANY boats to the United States. Would be nice though to knock six or seven thousand dollars off the price from the exchange rate and shipping costs. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is the best emoticon I have ever seen...where did you download it from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They can't build it all carbon, Not allowed in the F-18 rules.

With that said, I would be very HAPPY if the molds make it over here. I am looking to move off the 16 next year when my boat is paid for, and right now it looks like I will be jumping ship and getting a Nacra INFUSION.

The sad thing is that the decision on manufacture has nothing to do with performance or build quality, but I simply refuse to pay the thousands of extra $$$$ for an H on the sail.

Very hard decision for me, and I will feel like getting divorced after 30 years of sailing on a Hobie, but thats the way things are.

Post subject: New F18
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello guys,

Here is some info regarding the new F18 from HCE. I´m presently in Europe for sailing and work. Last week, As a Hobie Dealer in Canada, I went to the factory in Toulon to pick some boat for the Spain distributor.

During my time at the factory, I took the opportunity to ask question about the new F18.

Here is what I can tell you for the moment:
-The boat in still in development and will probably and I say probably be release at the Paris Boat Show in December. We told me; it was the target. Are they gonna make it on time, that´s the million dollar question? I hope so.

They mentionned that they wouldn´t rush the boat into production if they are not certain that the boat will be superior. Good new! Superior

Yes, the boat will make it the North America. Hopefully by the beginning of the season. No dates of delivery are posted for the moment.

Regarding the TIGER. The Tiger class won´t died because of the arrival of this new F18. The tiger one design class is too strong to die and also secondhand tigers are now more affordable to a larger population.

With the new F18, you will only be able to race in Open and F18 regattas versus the Tiger which do both. Hobie class and F18.

Quote:
"We" can fix that, have HCE send the Tiger molds over here to the HC U.S.A. plant

For your information. Hobie cat Usa are no longer producing Fiberclass boat in California. All fiberclass boats are manufactured in Australia or in Toulon. So, it is impossible to get the Tiger Molds here in the America. Forget it!! won´t happen.

Looking for carbon, go get a look at the new fx carbone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:07 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
For your information. Hobie cat Usa are no longer producing Fiberclass boat in California. All fiberclass boats are manufactured in Australia or in Toulon.

That is not correct. Hobie 16 hulls are being made in the US again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wish they would toss a couple of them (16 hulls) in a huge dryer and shrink them down to 14 size for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope the new Hobie is not too much better. The Formula 18 Class counts on boats that are all about equal. So far the rules have allowed us the option to pick any manufacturer's boat to sail. Hope it remains so.

Later,
Dan DeLave
NAF18-Chairman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Admin

No worries Dan. From what I understand, this is a long way out anyway. They only "hope" to have a prototype by their Paris show. I would think it would need a season of testing, so even if they do build it... maybe for a year from now or later for production I would think.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have heard the design is in conjunction with Martin Fischer of Capricorn Fame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Plus... we do not import all of the HCF products. If it is not a product we agree with or causes confusion in our markets, we would likely not import it here.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt:

I am a Formula 18 guy so I am disappointed if the decision is to keep the new Hobie Formula 18 out of the US. I think the more the merrier. We now have the Tiger, I18, F18, Infusion, Capricorn and Mysteres in the mix in the USA. There are plenty of others that are not imported for whatever reason. I would not like to get to know that a cool boat, as I am sure it will be, is not available to me. One that comes from, in my perception, the same company's boat that I have been sailing for years.

I think there are those that would pay any cost to have the new boat. Bring it in and see who is willing to pony up the funds.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why wouldn't the new f-18 be imported? The hard core sailors would want one and make used tigers available for the new f-18 sailors. If both boats fit the f-18 formula then why couldn't we race at hobie regattas together? I have no problem racing the new boat even if it is a better design. Thats why it was built right to further hce's presence in the f-18 class.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/