Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Class legal?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering if 16-1 is now legal for the Hobie Tiger. I reviewed the rules and think that it is. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something?

I know it's legal in the F18 rules.
Mike Hill

Hobie Tiger #1520

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike:

Did you use to race in Texas in the late 70's, early 80's?

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
Soon to be Nacra A2
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike, from the Hobie Tiger Class rules:

Mainsail downhaul purchase shall not exceed
16:1 and may be rigged in any manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

gthomas wrote:
Mike, from the Hobie Tiger Class rules:

Mainsail downhaul purchase shall not exceed
16:1 and may be rigged in any manner.

Thanks Greg,

I was just confused because I thought it was 12-1 last year max and I didn't remember seeing anything about the change.

And Doug I didn't learn how to sail until about 93.

Mike Hill

Hobie Tiger #1520

Post subject: Wrong Mike Hill
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike:

OK. Sorry. Check out our site sometime. The are a few Tiger sailor on our site. Chris Green is now the commodore for Div 6. Register and join forum.

Doug Snell
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike:

It did change from 12:1 to 16:1. I still have mine set up as 12 to 1 and am planning on changing it as soon as I figure out how I want to rig it. The 12:1 that I have right now did not require any more holes drilled into that mast, but we do have to preload it.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan DeLave wrote:
Mike:

It did change from 12:1 to 16:1. I still have mine set up as 12 to 1 and am planning on changing it as soon as I figure out how I want to rig it. The 12:1 that I have right now did not require any more holes drilled into that mast, but we do have to preload it.

Later,
Dan

Dan,

I can heartily reccomend an 8:1 with 2:1 cascade (making 16:1) for the downhaul. We copied this shamlessly from Tomko. We used the inverted heart shape shackle that came with the 8:1 downhaul. Then added a jam cleat about 6" up from the base on each side of the mast.

From this jam cleat we ran spectra line up and over the outside pulley on each side at the clew (using the two double pulleys that came with the original 8:1). After turning over the outside block a single block is tied to the end of the spectra. The 8:1 is then threaded from the swivel cleat through this block, back to the base, back up to the other spare pulley on the double block, back to the centre block on the base and repeat in reverse order on the other side of the mast.

We then tricked ours out a little further with spinlocks instead of cam cleats. Much better than the 12:1 or 16:1 rigged using those outlandish fixed turning blocks that hobbie puts way up the mast. We took those off and covered the rivet holes with black stickers.

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

are you sure this is 16-1. I have mine like this, I think, and it is only 12-1. count your purchase lines. You are not doubling the whole 8-1, just the outside 2-1 on each side. If I'm wrong please correct me so I can change mine. Works pretty good anyhow. Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rmharper wrote:
are you sure this is 16-1. I have mine like this, I think, and it is only 12-1. count your purchase lines. You are not doubling the whole 8-1, just the outside 2-1 on each side. If I'm wrong please correct me so I can change mine. Works pretty good anyhow. Rick

8:1 with a 2:1 cascade = 8*2 = 16:1. I run mine as a 4:1 cascading into another 4:1. Similar deal with most of it running under the trampoline.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, in the above example you are not doubling the entire purchase because the 2-1 on the outside block becomes part of entire purchase. It does not double it. If you don't run under the tramp as you have suggested, you run out of room, even with preloading, real quick. I'll quit at this, since I have been known to be wrong, but if you draw it as described earlier, I think you'll see the 2-1 has to be independent of the 4-1 to double it. In essence here it is doubling the middle 3 blocks (6-1). Spring is almost here and I can quit trying to figure out the boat and sail it. Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tiger Mike wrote:
8:1 with a 2:1 cascade = 8*2 = 16:1. I run mine as a 4:1 cascading into another 4:1. Similar deal with most of it running under the trampoline.

Michael

Tiger Mike, I'd be interested in seeing how you did the 4:1 cascading into another 4-1. Pictures would be great but a description would be appreciated.

I also agree with Chris that the system previously described was definitely a 12-1.

Mike Hill

Hobie Tiger #1520

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the information (drawing) that I "grocked" about flumpmasters post.]http://members.aol.com/ddelave/sailing/Downhaul.jpg.

The black lines are my 12:1 system. Add the pink to the black and get a 16:1 system. I do not think that I can have that much line in there as I am running out of room with the dowhaul that I have. I may give it a look see though. I also use spinlocks for the downhaul system. They are great as it is easier to release these.

If you need more explaination I will be happy to give it.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan, on your black "12:1" system, what happens in the middle where the black lines seem to converge in a "V"???

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tiger Mike:

That is a double block with a becket that hangs off the sail. Both side tie to the same becket. I use the very small Ronstan high load blocks there and Vectron or spectra line for the inside arrangement.

The pink extensions would be two double blocks without beckets. They would hang from the upside down heart shackle that comes with the Tiger.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan DeLave wrote:
Tiger Mike:

That is a double block with a becket that hangs off the sail. Both side tie to the same becket. I use the very small Ronstan high load blocks there and Vectron or spectra line for the inside arrangement.

The pink extensions would be two double blocks without beckets. They would hang from the upside down heart shackle that comes with the Tiger.

Dan

I would have to see it to be sure however I suspect you have more than 12:1. The green lines alone are 4:1. It really depends on what other blocks are turning blocks or floating (trying to put 2 systems on 1 diagram is difficult too).

Michael