Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What part of the world do you live in?

If there is a Hobie fleet nearby... Most certainly someone would be willing to take you out for a spin....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was clocked last week in my TI going 37mph

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

(That was a joke) ... 9mph?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I routinely get my TI up to 65. Of course, it's on the trailer when that happens.

Seriously, this is 14MPH in a TI. It will go a little faster, but not much. Folks that see the video or who have been in it in similar conditions, think we're going a lot faster. It's all relative. I have to agree with the poster that mentioned smoothness. or the lack thereof, and how it relates to the sensation of speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-pd0OjolS4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy the wildcat without hesitation. Rig and sail it without the spinnaker gear and your rigging time will be far shorter and sailing will be far easier.

I think you were looking for someone to validate the idea of buying this boat. Here it is, your idea is valid and you have the cash. Run down to the local dealer and cut a check today! It's the best idea ever! You can do it. Don't let anyone dissuade you, it is the smart thing to do.

Babe magnate! Looks fast just sitting on the beach too.

Get the red sails! Black spinnaker because you are edgy.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can't rig most F18's without the spinnaker pole, you need the spin pole for the self tacking jib setup, at which point you might as well put the kite on.

Also, plenty of used F18's out there for under $10K. No need to buy new unless you are racing at the very top of this game and even then the benefits are all eliminated by one blown tack or having your boat setup wrong for the days conditions etc. A good used Tiger is excellent bang for the buck.

Thirdly, a used Hobie 16 is pretty good bang for your buck, and a much more forgiving play boat.

Finally, lots of other options out there that weigh less and cost less and have dagger boards and are faster than a wildcat...just not stocked by a Hobie dealer, and Hobie dealers are usually the best kind of dealer!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd get the Wildcat, if that's the boat you want. If you know the basics of sailing, you'll be OK. The major difference between the Wildcat and a more sedate cat (like my Getaway) is you will get better at righting it after a capsize from all the practice you'll get!

I started with a H-17, had a few monohulls, have sailed boats as varied as Lasers to Interlakens to scows to J boats and a 34' Mull racer in a sailing club, and now have a Getaway. What you are going to do with the boat should determine which boat you get. Heck, a monohull (shudder!) may be the best boat for you!

As far as rigging time, that depends on how much you have to tear it down to trailer it. I take off the rudders and bob from my Getaway to trailer it, but I have to drive an hour on the highway to my favorite lake. If it was just up the road I would leave them on. I have a motor I put on it, and I almost always rig the spinnaker. Takes my wife and me about 1/2 hour to rig it, including the beer cooler...

But your intended use should dictate the boat. I bought my H-17 from a Hobie dealer who told me it was a good family boat. As you may know, the H-17 is a solo racer. It was too small from the beginning. But when I went out alone on it, it was a blast. It was just ok with my wife or a kid or two.

So, are you mostly sailing alone? 16, Wave or T2. With a bunch of friends? Getaway. Mostly with one or 2 other people (and you want to go as fast as you can)? Wildcat.

This is all opinion, of course.

Too many canoes and kayaks