Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Folks,

Been considering a Hobie Cat purchase for years - think I may be finally ready to dive in - I've got some time sailing Catalina 32 and 36 years ago (realize it's a different kind of sailing) - eventually plan to use it sailing around the islands in coastal Maine - just curious - just how well would a boat like this handle the sometimes fairly large swells we see up there ???

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll jump in and try to provide some advice, especially given it looks like this might be your first post.

First, you posed this question in the Tiger/Wildcat forum but since you simply said Hobie Cat I assume you might just be looking for any kind of Hobie cat? If so, I'd recommend either a Hobie 18, 20 or 21 Sport Cruiser. The Tiger and Wildcat are on the upper end of Hobie's racing cats and if this is your first catamaran I'm afraid it could be quite overwhelming. I've sailed a few different types of boats from 30 foot monohulls down to Lasers and a Hobie cat is definitely unique compared to monohulls.

Something like a Hobie 18 or larger will still be very fast but also forgiving. Their larger hull volume and length should also aid in driving through ocean swell. Think of that size Hobie as a Cadillac: it's large and comfortable but still has a V8 under the hood. These size Hobies can also be easily adapted to carry a small engine, just in case you need one for certain situations. Tigers and Wildcats are a bit faster but can sometimes give you a little less warning before they put you on your ear.

Feel free to pop around the various sub-forums here to research other types of Hobie cats and if you need anything else feel free to let us know. Good luck!