Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to sailing a Tiger, but reasonably experienced sailing other cats. My new (2005) Tiger isn't set up with a jib sheet and line for limiting the movement of the travellor (self-tacking system). I'd appreciate advice on the best way to set it up that doesn't rely on fitting the bow sprit. I don't expect I'll be flying a spinnaker any time soon. I've checked the manual and the excellent JoyRider videos and haven't found a basic set of instructions or diagram yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have an newish to me FX1 and rigged up a system for my self tacker w/o the spin pole based loosely on info found either buried on this site or beachcats. However, I don't have any first hand feedback as I haven't sailed this setup. The jib that came with the boat had a luff that was too long to secure properly (hopefully it'll be modified in time for this season).

The system as I understood (and rigged on land) ran the sheet to a block on the bridle/forestay junction. Playing with it on land, it seems that there would not be enough stiffness in the system to be a proper anchor for the jib sheet. Could see having to constantly playing the sheet to maintain proper trim even in a "steady state" mode.

The jib traveler was rigged with a block around around the base of the dolphin striker post and seemed like it'd have been fine.

I'll likely leave my spin pole rigged this year. However, my plan was to rig a short pole to the bridle/forestay junction when I rigged the jib.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've taken the Tiger out a few times so far, in light wind (under 10 knots). I've rigged the jib sheet system up along the lines recommended in the Tiger manual and Jo Bennett's excellent videos, but with the block that's closest to the bow secured by a shackle to the triangular plate in the middle of the bridle.
Question: is there a problem or risk if the bridle is being pulled back toward the forward beam as I sheet on the jib?

JamesNewie wrote:
I'm new to sailing a Tiger, but reasonably experienced sailing other cats. My new (2005) Tiger isn't set up with a jib sheet and line for limiting the movement of the travellor (self-tacking system). I'd appreciate advice on the best way to set it up that doesn't rely on fitting the bow sprit. I don't expect I'll be flying a spinnaker any time soon. I've checked the manual and the excellent JoyRider videos and haven't found a basic set of instructions or diagram yet.