Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Out haul
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does the Tiger use a 2:1 purchase for the outhaul on the round booms?

The FXone is supposed to have a 3:1 outhaul, mine does not. The boom also seems abnormally long, plus there is a cheek block that looks like it should be used for the mast rotation, (but there is no cleat for it). Just trying to figure out if the previous owner was using a Tiger boom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe most people with the round boom use 3:1, whether or not thats stock or just a quick upgrade I'm not sure though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

3:1 is the standard outhaul on the stock round tiger boom, a cheek block towards the end of the boom and a block and becket that connects to the clew of the main. The ourhaul line then runs through a turning block into the boom, round an internal turning block at the mast end before exiting and going to a cleat and a turning block for the end you pull on.

*whew* - Harken must have sponsored that design - loads of hardware. I take all that off, cut a slot and hole in the end of the boom and run a line from the hole, through the clew ring on the main and back to the slot where it is retained with a ball and stopper knot. We adjust the outhaul via the knot position so the foot is snug at max mainsheet and downhaul. When you ease off on both it automatically puts some shape into the bottom of the sail - auto outhaul. This is one less thing to mess with, and makes the boom lighter and less stuff to get caught on when swapping sides.

This mod may not be appropriate for the FXone, as the lack of a jib may leave you wanting to more shape in the bottom of the sail at times (though thats just a guess).

Another bonus of this mod - you can recycle all those blocks & eyestraps on other rigging upgrades.

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was just flipping through the parts guide and mine isn't set up like the one in the illustration. It's about $20 worth of blocks, and a couple of rivets to switch it over. I may give it a try.

I have a tough time getting the outhaul tight, and this might be why. Being a wimp is a distinct possibility as well. I'm right at minimum weight so getting the sail good and flat might be the ticket for a bit more speed for me. It seems like I'm either way over powered, or just floating. I've got alot to learn with this boat. There is way more things to do incorrectly than the 16.