Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie 16 when sailed one-design has a minimum crew weight of 285. I weigh 180. If you enter an open multihull race being scored on the Portsmouth yardstick, how would you handle that? I don’t see a rating for being lighter than what the class uses. I openly declared to the fleet (race was an annual charity regatta at my home yacht club) that I was single handing (I intended to sail my Hobie 17 but at the last minute discovered it needed repairs and switched to my 16. Didn’t have a chance to get crew.) and offered to race under a protest that would have given me a DSQ.

I won the race. Nobody protested. A day later one of the sailors (who would not have been in contention either way) complained that I competed unethically. This was pretty soul-crushing. I backed off tactically on the line on three different starts, did a circle at a mark that nobody saw me touch, and I’m very conscientious about following the rules.

So my question is, is there a handicap that accounts for my being underweight, is it even a thing if I’m not sailing one-design, and how could I have done any better than what I did? Should I just have DSQ’d and withdrawn? Seems extreme considering the low level nature of the race.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like sour grapes to me. You were upfront about everything, and sailed ethically. Enjoy your victory.

AND, if the winds were fresh, you may actually have been at a disadvantage because you had to spill wind that a heavier crew could utilize. I was soloing my Getaway with a couple of H16 sailors (also soloing). In winds under 15 or so, they had a clear advantage. When it got to 20, we were neck and neck. When it got to 25, I was just lifting a hull while they were spilling wind trying not to capsize, while I easily pulled ahead of them.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:
Sounds like sour grapes to me. You were upfront about everything, and sailed ethically. Enjoy your victory.

AND, if the winds were fresh, you may actually have been at a disadvantage because you had to spill wind that a heavier crew could utilize. I was soloing my Getaway with a couple of H16 sailors (also soloing). In winds under 15 or so, they had a clear advantage. When it got to 20, we were neck and neck. When it got to 25, I was just lifting a hull while they were spilling wind trying not to capsize, while I easily pulled ahead of them.

I appreciate that. It is how I felt too. This is a person I’ve gone out of my to help with repairs, advice on tactics, etc. And anyone that has single-handed a 16 with the jib up knows that you’re giving up a lot just running both sails.

I’m really at a loss why someone would do that. And honestly, this isn’t a person I’d expect sour grapes from. But you never know about people sometimes I guess.

Thanks again. Means a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Portsmouth - Multihull Specific adjustments

L4 Total crew < 70% of class min. wt. OR for single-handing a sloop not having class min. crew weights
DPN 0.970
OR
Beaufort
0-1 0.965 2-3 0.970 4 0.985 5-9 0.995

basically the same as General Adjustments - crew compliment
1 Solo sailing 2-person sloop under full sail
DPN 0.970

Have them re-run the numbers with this adjustment

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

flatlander wrote:
Portsmouth - Multihull Specific adjustments

L4 Total crew < 70% of class min. wt. OR for single-handing a sloop not having class min. crew weights
DPN 0.970
OR
Beaufort
0-1 0.965 2-3 0.970 4 0.985 5-9 0.995

basically the same as General Adjustments - crew compliment
1 Solo sailing 2-person sloop under full sail
DPN 0.970

Have them re-run the numbers with this adjustment

I’m not as in tune with the system as you. Are you saying that I would multiply my Portsmouth number by .97 and use that?

Thank you for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Eric Meyn wrote:
I’m not as in tune with the system as you. Are you saying that I would multiply my Portsmouth number by .97 and use that?

Thank you for the info.
That is correct Eric. This your assigned "penalty", if you will

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Flatlander. After trying to decipher some of the Portsmouth info, it looks like this correction is only legal if you’re within 50lb of minimum weight. I’m looking at the chart at the top of page 20 of the 2017 Portsmouth Yardstick Handbook.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Eric Meyn wrote:
Flatlander. After trying to decipher some of the Portsmouth info, it looks like this correction is only legal if you’re within 50lb of minimum weight. I’m looking at the chart at the top of page 20 of the 2017 Portsmouth Yardstick Handbook.

That chart on P. 20 is referring to the class rules. A H16 can carry up to 50 lbs. to meet minimum crew weight and still be class legal.
The multihull correction factors (for not being class legal) that flatlander is using are on Page 21.
Straight up (ignoring wind corrections), the H16 rating is 76.0.
Applying the L4 (less than 70% min. crew weight) correction factor of 0.97 gives 73.7, which should have been your rating.

I appreciate everything you are saying about following the rules. It says a lot that you were willing to take a DSQ, and it was very poor form for the other competitor to complain after the fact. However, it is each skippers' responsibility to know their rating to sail under Portsmouth just as it is to follow all the other rules. When one does not, bad things can happen...especially if they "win."

If you can get access to the raw data, it wouldn't be hard to re-run the numbers and see how they shake out. We've even swapped trophies after a regatta when the scoring got screwed up. If nothing else maybe take the high road...call up your disgruntled (ex?) friend, invite him out for a few beers, and explain what you've learned. Then, next time know your rating and legally kick his ass all over the course.