Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave with a traveler.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just bought a new Wave and had a traveler put on it. I would like to race it. Other than removing the traveler which I am not going to do, what can I do to make it class legal? Does it depend on the race officials to what I can do?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

sailorsloan wrote:
Just bought a new Wave and had a traveler put on it. I would like to race it. Other than removing the traveler which I am not going to do, what can I do to make it class legal? Does it depend on the race officials to what I can do?

For racing, you can tie it off in the center with a separate piece of rope. Make sure all the other competitors are cool with it that way (shouldn't be a problem) - go racing!

BTW, unless the race officials are real tools, they won't bother you. I certainly wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
sailorsloan wrote:

For racing, you can tie it off in the center with a separate piece of rope. Make sure all the other competitors are cool with it that way (shouldn't be a problem) - go racing!

BTW, unless the race officials are real tools, they won't bother you. I certainly wouldn't.

Matt since you are the PRO for the 2010 Wave North Americans, would you allow it there?

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Tom Machette wrote:
MBounds wrote:
sailorsloan wrote:

Matt since you are the PRO for the 2010 Wave North Americans, would you allow it there?

Actually I won't be - my plan is to race my 14, then step into my PRO shoes for the 17s/18s.

However, I can assure you that the Race Committee / Jury will not protest anyone for having a traveller on a Wave, as long as the mainsheet system is tied or permanently attached to the center of the crossbar (traveller not just cleated) and the traveller is not used during a race.

I can make no such assurances about the other competitors, that's why it's important to get their agreement in advance. An announcement can be made at the competitor's meeting by the PRO that will essentially shame them into agreement - especially since as long as a traveller's not used, it really doesn't make any difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just acquired a Wave, and plan to install a traveller, but also a hitch point in front of travel rail to move the block off of car and 're clip to static hitch point for racing. Of course your bottom sheet block has to have cam locks on it to make it work. Hook to traveller rec sailing, move to static center for racing. I think that will work well and please all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why do you want a traveler for the Wave?