Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This weekend, Sept 27th & 28th, Division 11 H16 Championship and Points Regetta will be held at Rock Hall Yacht Club in Rock Hall Md. This is a wonderful venue on the Chester River w/ very little powerboat traffic, the club allows On-Site camping (w/ pets), has a large grass field for boat set up w/ a perfect launching beach for "beach cats", and also there is a clubhouse w/ bar&resturant and a pool. RHYC is just a fantastic "Maryland Eastern Shore" sailing site.

We have a excellent diner planned for Sat night of : Salad, Pit Beef, Chicken, Jamabalya w/ Sweet Italian Sausage, Peas w/mushrooms, Strawberry Shortcake dessert (cost $15.00/ea) .... and 16oz Yuengling Lagers for $1.50ea at the bar (all the time).

So please come and join us at the first "Hobie Points Regetta" to be held at RHYC and make it a big success.

For additional information and Pre-Registration please go to www.rockhallyachtclub.org

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject: Rock Hall race
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How was the turnout for the race? That was a really nasty day. I have two older Hobie sixteens which i have never raced but sail all of the time, when is your next race and what are the levels or divisions seeing as i am definitely an extreme beginner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the five days proceeding the event the weatherman was predicting doom & gloom, rain so hard it would strip flesh from your bones, winds so strong as to blow dogs off of chains .... well they were wrong. While it was cloudy/overcast only a few showers passed through Friday night ... it wasn't bad at all. We had 28 boats Pre-Register/ 27(?) actually raced. If you go to www.rockhallyachtclub.org the results are posted along w/ 160 pictures.

As this was the first Hobie Points Regatta to be held at RHYC, most of the Div11 Hobie sailors had never been to RHYC I will just list some comment I recieved from the Div11 racers:

" Harry, this is a fantastic place to sail/race a Hobie(cat) at .... and I will be back ... this is a keeper" / Mark Muttermen- 07' Div11 H16 Champion

" This was the best regatta diner we have had all year ... " / Randy Payne- 08'Div11 H16 Champion

"I didn't see a single powerboat all day .... no, I think I might remember one .... / New Jersy Barneget Bay sailor

" This is the prettiest place I've sailed ... it's all natural ...." / Dallas Carson

" This was fantastic, we never had to leave the club, w/ the dinner ... the camping .... the (continental) breakfast .... " / Lynn Meyers

Comments recieved from the RHYC members:

" Harry, your friends (Hobie Catters) are really nice people .... and we would have them back anytime" / Vice Commodore Lee Urbani

" These guys really know how to handle and race their boats well ..." / PRO John Macielag- Owner/Captain of the Patricia (traditional Chesapeake Log Canoe), H17, International 14, Laser competitor

The Clubhouse and Bar was full, busy, and noisy before during and after dinner ... w/ Wally and the rest of the Div11 sailors telling TALL sailing tales ..... (but it was demostrated that we do need singing lessons when we tried to sing "Happy Birthday" for my sister's birthday !!!) So I believe everyone had a good time and weekend at RHYC.

Thank You to everyone who attended .... or volunteered.

A Special Thanks to Jimmie Glanden for supplying Trophies

And also to Rich McViegh, Kenny Hilk, Wally Meyers, and Randy Payne who made a HUGE extra effort to attend.

And to Bob Merrick .... thanks for registering ..... everyone noticed .... Todd Walter's said he finally got to beat you .... see you next year, Ok !!!!!I would like to buy you a "beverage" at the bar, I would consider it a privilege, sir.

The Div11 Scheduling meeting is on Dec 6th .... I quess we will work out the details for a "Hobie Points Regatta" next year to be held at RHYC, most likely in September again.

If you want to "practice" there are several other local Chesapeake Bay Yacht Clubs (CBYRA) that hold events that include beach catamaran class starts: mid June- Rock Hall YC's Annual One-Design Regatta, mid July- Cambridge YC's "Admiral Byrd" Regatta, late July- Corsica River YC's Annual Regatta. All these events are supported and attended by Div11 sailors. You may also wish to check the local "Open Class" website: www.sailcrac.com for scheduling and pre-registration links to events in the mid Atlantic/ Chesapeake Bay Areas ... including Hobie events.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11