Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In preparation for the Hobie 14 North American Championships in Clear Lake, IA (in which I placed 25th out of 34), I had the opportunity to sail in the Commodore's Cup at Lake Perry, KS. This was a PHRF regatta with seven starts (classes) and 42 boats competing. I was in the multihull class (which they decided to start last) with three Hobie 18s (two single-handed) and one Hobie 20. I was on the 14 and had no idea where I was placing in races. After the 3 races on Saturday and 2 on Sunday I ended up being the first multihull winner of the Commodore's Cup.

It may have been luck, it may have been that I didn't do as well at the NAs the next weekend, it may have just been due to the handicap vs. one-design regatta.

After the Wave and the Bravo, the Hobie 14 has the highest handicap in the PHRF index for active multihulls. link is http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/tables08/tables08mh.asp

I was curious to see what history this may bring up (Alter Cup qualifiers, big handicap races) and what other racers' opinions are towards having a 14, Wave, or Bravo win a regatta where there wasn't any of the same type boat racing.

H17 #747
Fort Collins, CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Most of the racing I do is in open classes. I often sail against anything from 23' cruisers to lasers and everything in between. The lake I sail on is smaller and sheltered. Portsmouths are used for corrected time and there are a couple difficulties with this. ie. I noticed that the race committee was using the same Portsmouth for the 14 and the 14T. They didn't know the difference. Other situations arise where there are different portsmouths based on the different sails used on the cruisers. ie. Storm Jib, Genoa etc. and not everyone knows which is which. Race committees for open fleets often don't know the class rules for each boat and cannot enforce them. In theory Portsmouths are great but in my opinion and several.

Typically on my Lake when using Portsmouths MultiHulls are snails compared to the Monos even though the lake has been host to some of the best multi hull talent in the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
the Hobie 14 has the highest handicap in the PHRF index for active multihulls.
Those numbers are D-PN, they have to be converted to PHRF
http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/table_v.asp

PHRF rating puts the H14 at 188 or 189, the Thistle's rating is like 168. What do you think about that? You know the Thistle's you've chased around the course are well sailed boats.

I don't understand how the PHRF number allows for varying wind speed, or if it does at all.

Post subject: will you come?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HAVAMEGA at Lk Havasu will be a different kind of event, including all classes in both North American Championships and HCA Points regatta formats. If you think you will come, go on havamega.com and post to the RSVP page. It will help us plan for the attendance and make the party that much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the spam Gordo :shock: