Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmadge wrote:
FLEET 178, Fort Walton Beach, Florida request an opportunity for hosting the 2010 HOBIE 16 North Americans (one design catamaran sailing) here along these beautiful soft white sands in clear warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico panhandle coast of Florida. Many Hobie catamaran events have been held here in Fort Walton Beach including the 2002 Hobie Mega Event. Attached is a letter for consideration:

NO WIND

The Mega was a drift fest.

Post subject: Re: 2010 hobie 16 N.A's
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sailorsloan wrote:
Instead of Galveston, I think Port Aransas would be better. Better wind than Galveston. Could be held on the ocean or Corpus Christi bay. Great little town on the beach. Great fishing too.

I spent two weeks sailing in Port A, its a really good spot. The surf never reached anything unreasonable either.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BobMerrick wrote:
NO WIND

The Mega was a drift fest.

That is true, but usually that time of year the winds are much better. The dynamic at the Mega's was a little unusual because Hurricane Lillian had just passed thru New Orleans a day or two before and had essentially sucked all the energy out of the area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:17 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

They actually had three storms in quick sucession - TS Hanna hit Sept 14, Cat 3 Hurricane Isadore took the roof off the Ramada (causing the relocation of the awards banquet) on Sept 26 and Cat 4 Lili (not Lilian) that went just west of there, making landfall on October 3.

The Mega went from October 4 - October 11, 2002.

I don't remember it at a "drfit fest". It blew one day that I recall, and the rest were light to medium air. We didn't lose a single day to no wind. The 16 NAs in 1999 were light the first two days, then we lost Wednesday to light air and a failed attempt at a distance race (from the bay to the gulf - we didn't have enough wind to overcome the tide coming through the cut). The last two days, it blew 12-15 in the gulf.

Ft. Walton Beach does have a bad rap for light air. However, there is a lot of Hobie History tied up in that spot. In addition to being Carlton Tucker's hometown, it's the only place where a 16 Worlds has been in the US (1984).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

More on Port Aransas:
Talk about wind! It is steady there. Great Windsurfing in Corpus Christi bay.
Wind farms are sprouting up on nearby farms. http://wind4me.com/2009/02/25/texas-por ... unloading/
Why do you think this area was chosen for the National Wind Blade Testing Center? WIND!!!!
You can drive you car on the Beaches here. So launching from the beach is easy as pie.
The Texas 300 and Texas 200 races pass through here.
You can sail up close to dophins in the ship channel. They are use to it. And they stay in the area.
Best of all, the water is warm most of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now all you need is someone to volunteer to Chair the event, host the event, and turn in a bid.

Good luck, sounds like a great place to hold a NAC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: Yep, that's all we need........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Xanderwess, are the hobies over on the south side of the lake from your fleet? You know the ones by Gary's big cat. And are any of them for sale?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow :shock: Port Aransas is an AWESOME VENUE! This is exactly the place HCA should be looking for our next big event...it's got it all. Weather, Wind, Beach Access, Restaurants,....and get this; their Yacht Club actually has a "Bar" Committee! :D

Google it and click the Chamber Page...lots of good stuff there...then visit http://www.ryctx.org...the local yacht club.

Just think...3rd week of June...all of us Winter Hybernators are dying to get some heat...the venue is Tropical, the sand (there actually is sand there) is hot, and the wind is blowing 12-15! Makes me want to go there now.

"Work Hard, Play Hard, Respect People & Love your Family"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Little Wing;
I have the Yellow '85 and it's for sale for $2K. Comes with a trailer, has EPO rudders, and Black Mesh Tramp. Original Sails are in excellent condition.

Let me know if you have any interest.

515-967-3561

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You were here? And didn't call?? The 16 and 17 in the middle grassy area are mine and my son Alexander's, the Wave on near the ramp is my son Jacobs, the Yellow 16 is Cyclonecat (Todd Wilson) and the new 16 is Old Charlie's (the guy who won the raffle last year)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah he was there, when you were supposed to be here!

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:39 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

CycloneCat wrote:
Wow :shock: Port Aransas is an AWESOME VENUE! This is exactly the place HCA should be looking for our next big event...it's got it all. Weather, Wind, Beach Access, Restaurants,....and get this; their Yacht Club actually has a "Bar" Committee! :D

Google it and click the Chamber Page...lots of good stuff there...then visit http://www.ryctx.org...the local yacht club.

Just think...3rd week of June...all of us Winter Hybernators are dying to get some heat...the venue is Tropical, the sand (there actually is sand there) is hot, and the wind is blowing 12-15! Makes me want to go there now.

Todd, you're forgetting two of the most important items - people and logistics.

Where are all the people going to come from to help run the races / parties? There's no local fleet support. Where are charter boats going to come from? Who's the local dealer?

Also, Google Earth the address of the yacht club. You'll see it's almost a 20 mile drive from Port Aransas proper (including a ferry ride).

Two Hobie 16 NAs have been run off the North Beach in Corpus Christi (Radisson Beach Hotel). Both were very sucessful, but even the one in 1988 had problems with a lack of personnel (volunteers). The situation there is much worse today.

You know very well the problems with finding volunteers and charter boats. Nearly 20% of the fleet in Kingston was chartered (12 of 54). Without the support of dealers like Jim Sohn, Rob Jerry and Jeremy Leonard the last few 16s would have been much more regional.

A North Americans takes more than a pretty venue and bars. Without manpower and boats it's not a true NAC. As the HCA Race Director, I would have a hard time recommending an event that can't provide both - and I'd prefer one with a local fleet.

There's another proposal for 2010 in the works that's supposed to be delivered this week. It's a proven venue with lots of local support. We'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt;
Details, Details, Details. :lol:

I like the idea of wind and sun and endless beaches. 8)

Volunteers can be recruited...it just takes the right amount of sugar... Like I earlier mentioned, money can generate a lot of interest...and perhaps that's what it's going to take in the future to have some of these High Profile Elite events in locations that are NEW and EXCITING for our class members. In my humble opinion, you can easily host an event with about 30 volunteers over 5 days. Two A Mark Boats (2/boat), A Gate Boat (3), a Pin Boat, (2-3), the Gun Boat (8 Max), 3 Support Boats (2-3), Beach Assist/Captain (2-3).

A dealer is a DEFINITE requirement...but perhaps Hobie could figure that out.

Outside of RC you need 2-3 key people to help the reg., info., and party organization...but Bridget is GREAT at that and there's others that would love to help I'm sure.

I'm just commenting on a venue that someone else proposed...I'm not trying to but in here...just throwing my input out there. I agree, a venue that has someone's actually interested in HOSTING is always better than artificially developing one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="xanderwess"]You were here? And didn't call?? The 16 and 17 in the middle grassy area are mine and my son Alexander's, the Wave on near the ramp is my son Jacobs, the Yellow 16 is Cyclonecat (Todd Wilson) and the new 16 is Old Charlie's (the guy who won the raffle last year)[/quote

Yea We go to clear lake often ,my wife is from clear lake, I would have called but this trip we were in town for my wife's dads funeral. Sat the 9th the wind was great but not any Hobie's out, I took some photos will have to post them. Looks like a pretty cool old venture 21 ,also you guys have a great spot. Looks like someone might be renting Hobie Getaways over at city beach. Any of you guys want to sell your 17's? There was one in the parking lot on a trailer, had a set of cat trax with it. I have a great 18 with sx wings on it if any one wants to buy or trade. Say old charlie wouldn't be C MacNider would it? There is photos of my 18 on the HC18.org site,, paul mcquilkin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next