Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey all you 16 sailors on Southern CA. I was part of the CISA clinic in Long Beach at ABYC. It was a great success! Pete Melvin, Pease Glaser, Jay Glaser, Bob Merrick, Eileen Haubl, and I were able to get the kids really excited about catamaran sailing. They all sailed 16s. I took some for laps on my Tiger and they loved that too.

Yesterday I was picking up some rigging for my boat. The rigger's son was part of the group of kids that were involved in the event. He has shown interest in making a catamaran part of his sailing repertoire Now, there is a question of finding a way for the kids to borrow 16s for racing events so they can make decisions to buy their own boats. I thought that there might be some sailors out there that, if not attending an event, would be willing to loan a boat. I know that this is a lot to ask but the benefit is, if these kids like the scene enough, they would be buyers and competitors. I think that you would love to have them in the group as they show lots of potential as really competitive sailors.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Dan,

Interestingly enough I have allready begun talking to Shuana about this very thing. I have sent email off to the junior program director for Mission Bay Yacht Club, and San Diego Yacht club, and will be posting some information on the regatta's with Shuana's contact information.

Mission Bay Yacht Club would be a good club to try and get people to loan their boats from, as they have an active multi-hull fleet (Whereas MOST do not). Also 4 of the regatta's that we sail down here in San Diego are easilly accessiable from MBYC.

The easist thing to do would be to have them get in contact with Shuana, who allready does an awesome job getting crews for for the regatta's for the UCLA bunch, this will get the kids started right away, and then I am sure we can find some people who are willing to loan out their boat..

Brent