Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting to Hobie Worlds
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
I am looking to fine tune my sailing and take it to a higher level. I live in the northwest in oregon. I was wondering what regatta I need to go to for my regional (is it a qualification for nationals?) regatta? Then where will nationals be next time they come around? how well do you have to do to move onto worlds? Thanks in advance,
J

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Unfortunately, the season is over in your area as far as Hobie regattas are concerned. So . . . start planning to attend some next year. Join the Hobie Class Association (http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com, join at http://www.hcanamembers.com) and you'll start getting the class magazine, the HOTLINE. It will have the regatta schedule for your area (Division 4). There's a significant concentration of races in the Seattle area, and if you're willing to travel a bit more, in northern California.

Over the winter, get a book like Dave Perry's Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing (You might want to wait for the new version which covers the 2013-2016 rule book which was just released this week.)

Another book to read is Rick White's Catamaran Racing for the '90s (yeah, it's 20+ years old now, but it's still good).

The first year you race, sign up for "B" fleet and you'll race against others of similar ability (although you'll probably start with the "A" fleeters). You won't need a new boat . . . yet.

Once you get proficient at getting around the course and gain more confidence with the right of way rules in boat-on-boat situations - and you start doing better in races - that's when it will be time for a new boat. A '70s boat will not be competitive against newer boats. You don't have to get a brand new one at first - a "hand-me-down" from an A-fleet sailor will work just fine. Something newer than 1995, but it's better to have something from the 2000s.

There's no qualification system for regional championships or North American Championships. Just show up with your boat and race. Easier said than done when the event is on the other side of the continent. However, there's usually a couple of fanatics that'll be driving - and willing to haul a multiple stack trailer for a fee (or gas/driving time if you're going along for the ride).

The best part about regattas is not the racing - it's the one-on-one help you get from expert racers on setting up, tuning and sailing your boat. That part of the event is free. All you have to do is ask. Before you know it, your boat will be in the middle of a tuning seminar.

In the past, there has been a qualification system for the world championships. The boats are provided by Hobie Cat (brand new) and there's a limited number, so there's a limited number of competitors. Each region (like North America) is allocated a certain number of positions. Those positions are filled (via a mathematical formula) by a combination of your results in Hobie Points Regattas and your finishing position in the most current North American Championships.

However, there are always a number of "open" positions - usually 25 or so. In the past, there's been a two-day "qualification" regatta held at the worlds venue for anyone who wants to try and qualify for the open world championship.

Unfortunately, there's no Hobie 16 worlds on the schedule . . . yet. There's been a couple of proposals, but nothing has come quite to fruition. It will happen in the near future, and there will be lots of notice - usually about a year. Keep practicing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you so much for the great info. I really appreciate it. I was also wondering if the path would be the same for youth sailors or if there are different steps in the process?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

For youth sailors, the path is basically the same, although there is help.

First of all, you can join the Hobie Class Assoc. as an Independent Youth member for only $15. (Must be under age 21.)

Monetary grants are also available from the Hobie Class Association to help youth members defray the expenses of travelling to major events (area championships and North Americans). There is a separate Youth North American Championships for competitors under the age of 21. More info is available here: http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default ... %2F3030%2F

There's also a Youth World Championship held in conjunction with the Open Worlds (usually it's the week before, using the same boats used in the open championships). At the last one, there was no qualification required. Just register early!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great! Thanks again. One last question on any tips you might have on getting a better boat. (Anything other than: look on craigslist and wait?) If I ever make enough money power washing, mowing lawns and fixing up and selling old boats would you recommend buying a new H16? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The best used boats aren't the ones on Craigslist.

Hook up with the people in Hobie Fleet 72 - http://www.hobiefleet72.org/Fleet72/Home.html.

A hand-me-down boat from an A-fleet sailor is your best bet for moving up to a competitive boat at the fraction of the cost of a new boat. Be patient and don't get a boat that needs a lot of work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have picked a great Class to get into as a Youth.The Hobie Class does a great job of taking care of there Youth sailors.
My Daughter was the Reciepient of one of there Youth Grants,which allowed her to Sail in The Junior Olympic Event this past Summer.