Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobe 18/20 Nationals
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boss just got back from the 18/20 Nationals, and the stories I'm hearing make me wish he'd sent me up. Sounds like people had a great time, had some decent racing and made a bunch of money for St Jude. He had nothing but good things to say about the event, volunteers and racers.

Race results and photos found here:

http://www.div14.hobieclass.com/default.asp?MenuID=H18-H20_Nationals/c13034/3727

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Certainly a good time was had by all. Props to John Mork, Laurie Cronan, Guy Lawyer and all the Div. 14 folks and volunteers for running a machine like event. George Pedrick stated it will be a hard act to follow next year in Alameda. The short handed RC (chase boats) did an impeccable job in setting and adjusting courses throughout.

The weather was perfect throughout the week with highs in the 80's, no rain and lots of sunshine. Monday was a huge day to start off with four races in 18 to 20 mph and gusting winds. Tuesday backed down just a bit to the 15 mph range and other than the tight racing was highlighted by an F-16 fly by right at the start of the second race. If one day of no wind was a requirement, it couldn't have come a better time (my old bones sure did think the timing was right for a day of rest) on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday rounded out the week testing the fleets lower wind range skills, with shifting and waning winds to compliment the howling blows of Monday and Tuesday.

It was a great opportunity to find more Hobie friends we just had'nt met yet.

And Brian, your boss Aris said it right at the awards dinner, "Holy Cow!". A little over $300,000 given to St. Jude. That topped off what was already an incredible week. :D