Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been sailing recreationally for years ... This year, a friend has convinced me to race (it was hard since I'm so stupidly competitive) ...

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about racing, strategy, rules, etc.

Besides the rules of the Hobie site, is there a better place / documents that can help a new skipper out? I don't have a clue about the flags, safety requirements, etc.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Cajun
______
'73 Hobie 16 - Shrubbery
'81 Hobie 16 - Muna

Post subject: Buy Dave Perry book
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy Dave Perry's book on Understanding the rules. It is very easy to read and has pictures to explain things

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Rac ... F8&s=books

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And Rick Whites Cat racing for the 90's. Know the basic rules, port/starboard etc, start and mark rules, timing sequence for start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And there are a couple of race stickers that you can put on the front crossbar and use as cheat sheets during a race.

Hobie part numbers 86110000 (courses sticker) and 86120000 (flags sticker).

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes. Rick's book and seminar tapes are VERY good, but the rules book by Perry is the best I have read and very easy to understand with the pictures.

Doug Snell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most of the rules are very basic with variations happening near the start and marks.

Rule # 1- It's just a sailboat race. Keep that in perspective. Don't hit other boats, ever.

Boats not racing still have rights. Just because you are racing does not give you special rights.

Starboard vs Port- Place a green piece of tape on the right side of the boom. If you are crossing a boat, and see green, hail starboard and hold your course until it becomes obvious that you will collide. Then avoid the collision-always.

Windward/leeward- If you are taking a boat's wind, you are to windward and must give way to boats on your same tack that are to leeward (down wind of you). Starboard vs port is still the prevailing rule so boats coming downwind on starboard while you are going upwind on port still have rights over you.

Avoid contact with boats as you round marks . It gets complex here, but if you apply the above rules and know that you can't contact boats within two boatlengths of any mark, you can not go wrong. The two boatlength rule protects you from loosing or gaining rights when you should be concentrating on rounding the mark without hitting other boats.

At the start there is usually a favored end. That is great, but the basic rule is get clean air (no boats either taking your wind, or near you just to leeward)(not really a rule but good advice). This avoids the most problematic rule at the start, no barging. Barging is trying to squeeze between the start boat or pin by coming down on boats to leeward of you. You also can not sail higher than close hauled before the start.

One last rule that applies, Stay away from the start or finish unless starting or finishing. Sometimes this is formal, sometimes informal, but always common courtesy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
You also can not sail higher than close hauled before the start.

As not to complicate the issue for beginners, and/or get in to a big rules discussion or fight over this. :?

Before the start and during the race the leeward boat (the boat below you) has the right of way and don't be suprised if some silver haired guy comes up under you just before the start hollering "Up, Up, Up" and makes you sail above close hauled to avoid a collision. Hopefully you won't end up in irons. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

come out, ask questions, participate, watch , learn, ask questions, crew for someelse a time or two, ask questions. Did I say ask questions. read the books (the dave perry book with pictures is great) and ask questions. It is not rocket science. have fun and great sailing. The rick white tapes cover the rules and also help with your sailing skills. But most of all come and participate. you will rapidly move from :shock: to :D Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Cajun,

a site i really like is: http://www.ukhalsey.com/RulesQuiz/index.asp
The free quizes cover the basics. I think there are about 24 situations that if you go over and undersatand then you will be 'off to the races' with confidence!
Having said that, as a cat racer, in medium to high winds, things happen unbelievabley fast and in most cases you will have very little time to react and find that just avoiding other boats, no matter who is in the right , is way faster than getting into a kerfuffle and then to worry for the rest of the race who was right.

really, really, cant wait for summer,

moyra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

moyra,

Thanks man, nice link!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good posts here. I wanna start racing next season. My issue is with following the corrrect race course. I have the course sticker, but can't figure out what some of the letters mean on the chart.

Example:

Options
1G 1O 1GO
6G 6O 6GO

What do the numbers/letters mean in the "Options" column of the race course chart?

Sorry to get off topic, but this has been bugging me. Thanks.

2005 Hobie 16 - Ventura Nationals Boat #21
http://www.JackieandAlan.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alan,

The G is referring to a Gate option. This will be two marks set about 5 to 7 boatlengths apart. They are typically used in lieu of a single "C" (downwind) mark and allow boats to round in two directions. This is an Option for the Race Committee. You will probably see this used. If used will be displayed on the committee boat as a suffix to the course number (i.e. Fleet 16B Course 1G). Then you know the downwind mark will be a gate.

The O is referring to an offset mark. This is usually set near to and downwind of the A (upwind) mark and used to clear traffic before heading downwind. Chances are you'll never see this course called in our area. Typically used with spinnaker boats.

For more info download Hobie U off the HCA website.

First race will be the Daggerless in OKC. We can answer any questions as drawing pictures in person is worth a thousand words, but keep asking good questions.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John Eaton wrote:
First race will be the Daggerless in OKC. We can answer any questions as drawing pictures in person is worth a thousand words, but keep asking good questions.

Thanks for the info. That clears it up a bit.

I hope Lake Hefner gets more water. It is about 11 ft down right now. If you haven't been out there lately, the beach is over 100 yards from the water to the trees. I'll try to post pics this weekend.

When will the 2007 regatta schedule be posted?

2005 Hobie 16 - Ventura Nationals Boat #21
http://www.JackieandAlan.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I hope Lake Hefner gets more water. It is about 11 ft down right now. If you haven't been out there lately, the beach is over 100 yards from the water to the trees. I'll try to post pics this weekend.

When will the 2007 regatta schedule be posted?

It was a very dry year but monsoon season hasn't hit yet, and I'm sure everthing will be OK, or at least sailable.

I talked with Tom Page and as all the fleets haven't responded yet, the tentative date for the 14/16/Wave "Daggerless" is April 28 & 29.

He allows the official Division 14 schedule should be available soon after the holidays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

inspired by moyra :)

Another good on-line rules quiz

http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm

Enjoy :D