Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My take is that they should have given you room to round the mark. It appears that you had inside overlap within the circle and they didn't give you room to get around the mark. Did you protest? Other boat should have done 2 turns. And maybe you should have gone back and actually rounded the mark?

(To the experienced folks, please correct my newbie take on the rules)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll have to start a "Racing Rules of Sailing Game" thread here in the next day or so.

(This is all for fun BTW, no serious competition or ect about the incident in the video. Discussion is simply a learning and teaching tool.)

Penalty turns were NOT done by any the other involved boats, and I didn't return to round the mark without contacting it.

I have protested the first boat for not giving mark room in accordance with 18.2(b)

I believe I should be exonerated by rule 21 for touching the mark (rule 31) as I was compelled to do so taking mark room to which I was entitled. (having the mark pass below the boat though is something I haven't seen or heard of before)

As for the second boat I protested them for not keeping clear from clear astern in accordance with rule 12.

Any questions before reaching your decision?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is what I see! first boat is just a big Bully! You shouldn't let her push you around.(you should be able to settle that one on the beach but be careful I have seen her fight...She's pretty tough) Third boat owes you a little buffing and a sincere apology! You guys still sailing? I got the 16 on the beach but we are getting close to pulling it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobieandy wrote:
Here is what I see! first boat is just a big Bully! You shouldn't let her push you around.(you should be able to settle that one on the beach but be careful I have seen her fight...She's pretty tough) Third boat owes you a little buffing and a sincere apology! You guys still sailing? I got the 16 on the beach but we are getting close to pulling it.

:lol:

Hell yeah we are still sailing! The water is still pretty nice. That was last Sunday, the last race day of the Fleet Championship. (and to funny to NOT post here) We have one more weekend of fleet fun racing on Oct 26th. Then I always figure out how to get the boat on the water at least once in November.

The matter was settled on the beach.. and doesn't matter anyway.. Regardless if this one was scored as a win for her or not. She needed to win every race on the last day to have a chance to beat me in the series, and that didn't happen, 8)

Although, she was mad at me for "not sailing my own race". :twisted: All I had to do was beat her on the day. (a tall order most of the time) so it took some careful explanation that match racing her was "my own race" for the day. :D What can I say.. I wasn't about to let her get away sailing faster like she usually does. I didn't need to win races... I only need to have her NOT win. I had throwouts to cover any bad scores for the day :) So I indulged myself in tactical games.. It was GREAT fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's not like there are fluorescent circles around the marks in the water like you see in the America's cup. The three length zone is determined by what you are able to guess while sailing (guess what, you have other things to think about). I'm on Port, I see someone on Starboard as I close on the mark, I am going to assume I give way--guess what else, the rules are designed to PREVENT collisions. Other way 'round, if I'm on starboard and the other guy is on port as we close on the mark, I'm going to assume he knows the rules!

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
It's not like there are fluorescent circles around the marks in the water like you see in the America's cup. The three length zone is determined by what you are able to guess while sailing (guess what, you have other things to think about).

That is why rule 18.2 also contains the following clause:

(d) If there is reasonable doubt that a boat obtained or broke an overlap in time, it shall be presumed that she did not.

By the way, the sailors in the A/C can't see the circles around the marks that we see on tv. It's like the yellow first down line on pro football games - computer generated.

Quote:
I'm on Port, I see someone on Starboard as I close on the mark, I am going to assume I give way--guess what else, the rules are designed to PREVENT collisions. Other way 'round, if I'm on starboard and the other guy is on port as we close on the mark, I'm going to assume he knows the rules!

This is a mistake. The mark room rules take precedence at mark roundings and just assuming that the port/starboard rules are all you need to know is going to get you into trouble, especially if you plan to race at a high level.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I race for fun. Fun for me includes not hitting other boats or wasting time in a protest meeting. Other folks, other jokes.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
I race for fun. Fun for me includes not hitting other boats or wasting time in a protest meeting. Other folks, other jokes.

:D

I have just been around to many monohull guys... The rules are a large part of the fun once you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I probably know a lot of those guys or at least their type...if they tack in front of you so you have to maneuver to avoid, they say they finished their maneuver before you ran up their butt--after all, with a crew of 12 they have LOTS more witnesses! They also are typically found harangueing the rating committee for another 3 sec/mile because their main halyard has the flu :P Been there, done that, got the T shirt, got enough trophies...wanna have fun.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II