Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Hobie Cat sailors. Have any of your races allowed Hobie Islands to participate? And if so which ones? I haven't found any kind of Island class racing in my research.
There is a Hobie multihull race in March in Lake Havasu that says they are open to all multihull cats if you are an HCANA member. I'm interested in that one if they would accept me, however, per online searches I didn't see any islands in the pictures.
I love dinghy racing and picked up a TI since it suits my medical issues and I would love to join some races next year. I'm out of California so looking for West coast lakes or coastal. Thanks, Sailorv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sailorv wrote:
Hello Hobie Cat sailors. Have any of your races allowed Hobie Islands to participate? And if so which ones? I haven't found any kind of Island class racing in my research.
There is a Hobie multihull race in March in Lake Havasu that says they are open to all multihull cats if you are an HCANA member. I'm interested in that one if they would accept me, however, per online searches I didn't see any islands in the pictures.
I love dinghy racing and picked up a TI since it suits my medical issues and I would love to join some races next year. I'm out of California so looking for West coast lakes or coastal. Thanks, Sailorv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We entered one very casual race, sponsored by Indian Harbor YC in Greenwich Ct, which had a class for Cat boats (old style Cat Boats, not catamarans) without a formal racing handicap certificate. Our pointing ability made one of the legs, up a narrow channel thru two islands difficult without going out of bounds.
Check with your local Yacht Clubs and see if they have any events for unusual classes, and good luck. Kent H, Connecticut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Kent, good suggestion!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Found another thread but no conclusion: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10391

When I used to do some car events, if your car could not be classed, you could run but not be scored. Maybe they have something like that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, yeah I found that link in searching the forum. As more Islands are produced hopefully some of the larger sailing communities can develop an island friendly course. That could be one of the issues - islands being off the wind sailors can't compete, so well, with traditional race courses which usually have a high upwind and ddw leg. It sounds like searching for a yc that has a multi race course and piggybacking on them is the way to go. I love the solitude and exploration the islands provide, but racing is fun and makes you a better sailor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sailorv wrote:

Have you thought of putting together your own informal group of Island sailors?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The problem in racing the AI or TI in most mixed fleet regattas is twofold - there is no D-PN number for them and the mirage drive is a means of "alternate propulsion" that is not allowed under most racing rules of sailing.

But clubs are free to set their own handicap numbers and may decide for themselves what to do about the mirage drive. Our club has leaned towards allowing them to compete sans the mirage drive - you either remove it prior to the race start countdown, or have some sort of means of locking the pedals. This allows the fins to continue to act as additional daggerboard force but can't be pedaled.

The handicap number is something that a club would have to decide along the way as they see what results you may be getting in relation to the other boats. I would think something in the 92 to 98 range might be fair, but that's just a guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have thought about it. One of the issues with starting one instead of joining is it can be hard finding RC boats and people willing to run them. Shores idea RC seems easier to find and could be an option. I don't know any other TI owners but I could definitely contact my local dealer.

Yes I totally agree with the caveats you bring out that make Islands an issue with joining buoy races. It is what I figured may be why there aren't any/many.

The other issue I have noticed is a lot of owners aren't sailors, so they probably are not experienced racers.