Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the forum, just have some basic questions for you guys about the sport.

What class is the most prominent? Has it always been that way? Is it the same for Europe? What boats are in that class?

Thanks folks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Your question is a little open ended but maybe I can give you some information that will either answer your question or help you ask a more specific question.

Classes are either one design or formula:

A one design class would be like the Hobie 16 for example. Everyone in the class races with that boat and the class is controlled by the manufacture. There are limits on upgrades to try to keep the class competitive and you wont see a new hull design come out for the H16 as that would completely disrupt the class. Boats race without time correction.

A formula class spans multiple manufactures who all make a boat that adheres to a set of rules defined by a governing body of that class. Form Hobie there are both the F18 Tiger and the F18 WildCat which are both built to the F18 class rules and they race head to head with no time correction against other F18 boats from NACRA, Viper, Goodall Designs, etc...

A one design class can exist within a formula class for example the Hobie Tiger has a large following and there are specific events where just Hobie Tigers race.

Lastly there are mixed fleets sometimes referred to as Portsmouth fleets but thats because Portsmouth Handicap rating is one of the most popular rating systems in us, although SCARS is gaining popularity. Handicap ratings allow dissimilar boats to race based on a handicapped time. For example with my organization, The Catamaran Racing Association of Michigan, we require at least 4 boats of one class to make a fleet. If we only have 3 Formula 16 class boats and 2 A-cat class boats show up to an event we will group them into a fleet and use the handicap system to determine finish position.

As for what is popular all depends on where. F18 and Hobie 16 are two of the most internationally prominent classes, but for example Australia has a huge Hobie 18 following. And that does change over time. In CRAM for example if you go back 25 years I believe the NACRA 5.2 was one of the most popular boats. 15 years ago it would have been the F17 (not to be confused with the modern Olympic F17) and now its mostly F18 and Hobie 16 boats .

Hope this helps

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TiberiusGV wrote:
Your question is a little open ended but maybe I can give you some information that will either answer your question or help you ask a more specific question.

Classes are either one design or formula:

A one design class would be like the Hobie 16 for example. Everyone in the class races with that boat and the class is controlled by the manufacture. There are limits on upgrades to try to keep the class competitive and you wont see a new hull design come out for the H16 as that would completely disrupt the class. Boats race without time correction.

A formula class spans multiple manufactures who all make a boat that adheres to a set of rules defined by a governing body of that class. Form Hobie there are both the F18 Tiger and the F18 WildCat which are both built to the F18 class rules and they race head to head with no time correction against other F18 boats from NACRA, Viper, Goodall Designs, etc...

A one design class can exist within a formula class for example the Hobie Tiger has a large following and there are specific events where just Hobie Tigers race.

Lastly there are mixed fleets sometimes referred to as Portsmouth fleets but thats because Portsmouth Handicap rating is one of the most popular rating systems in us, although SCARS is gaining popularity. Handicap ratings allow dissimilar boats to race based on a handicapped time. For example with my organization, The Catamaran Racing Association of Michigan, we require at least 4 boats of one class to make a fleet. If we only have 3 Formula 16 class boats and 2 A-cat class boats show up to an event we will group them into a fleet and use the handicap system to determine finish position.

As for what is popular all depends on where. F18 and Hobie 16 are two of the most internationally prominent classes, but for example Australia has a huge Hobie 18 following. And that does change over time. In CRAM for example if you go back 25 years I believe the NACRA 5.2 was one of the most popular boats. 15 years ago it would have been the F17 (not to be confused with the modern Olympic F17) and now its mostly F18 and Hobie 16 boats .

Hope this helps

Excellent reply, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm looking to possibly head into some more serious sailing and racing, and I want to make sure I get into the scene where the sport is the hottest, if you will. Want to take it seriously, so whichever class has the most going on is where I want to be.

Gonna probably see if I can find my way into a crew position with somebody at my local fleet, so I can get a feel for these faster boats. Got a little bit of experience crewing 420's and skippering on a Wave. Psyched to tackle that learning curve.

Anyway, thanks for the insight!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another group that has a pretty big following using Hobies adventure line of boats is the Watertribe, (www.watertribe. Org). Actually their big race of the year just started this morning, it’s a 300 mile race from Tampa area to key Largo fl thru the everglades. Typically there are a couple dozen Hobie adventure boats entered, (plus several Hobie cats typically).
There are also quite a few other expedition events that many parcipitate in with their Hobies, (ie... many other watertribe events, and other races like race to Alaska, Texas 200, Missouri 300,( I think thats what it’s called).
These are called expedition boats, and very popular these days, one family took a pair of TI’s 7000 miles from denmark to istanbul, (pretty amazing).
Just sharin what’s out there, ( a way bigger market and following these days IMO)
FE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In the Pacific Northwest I have seen these numbers at a few various Hobie Regattas this summer.

H16 - 10-12 boats
H17 - 4-5 boats
H18 2-3 boats
F18 1-2 boats