Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking to learn the basics of the racing scene. I have recreationap sailing experience. Any reading material I should get into? Other stuff?

Thanks y'all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Biggest thing is just finding a fleet. Fleets are always happy to get new members and hopefully they will help you get up to speed. Its a learning process and time on the water is the biggest things. Fleets might have slightly different rules so just get involved and go from there. Where are you located. I'm sure we one of us knows your nearest fleet.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TiberiusGV wrote:
Biggest thing is just finding a fleet. Fleets are always happy to get new members and hopefully they will help you get up to speed. Its a learning process and time on the water is the biggest things. Fleets might have slightly different rules so just get involved and go from there. Where are you located. I'm sure we one of us knows your nearest fleet.

Good deal. I'm in Galveston, TX. I actually already know about our fleet, the Texas City Dike Yacht Club, which is about fifteen minutes from my house. Been busy with work stuff so I haven't had the chance to hit those guys up yet. I'm sure I could start sailing with those guys as soon as I get the time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Catamaran Racing for the 90's is a good book. Really any basic sailboat racing book will do to get you started though. What you're after is just something to generally explain the process of racing. More advanced books will get into detail that is way over your head (and possibly even over the heads of sailors who have been racing for decades). Sailboat racing is something of an abstract sport as there are a lot of variables at play, some of which can be very difficult to perceive or that are totally out of your control.

I would get a basic racing book and familiarize yourself with the overall process of the race (start, upwind leg, downwind leg, finish). After that, it's really just a matter of getting out there and starting to race. It's likely to be very frustrating at first (and possibly for quite a while), but the more you do it, the better you get and one of the great things about racing is that, as long as there is at least one other boat to race against that is as good of a sailor as you or better, the racing will always be challenging, and that's what will keep you coming back. That's why there are Hobie racers in their 60's, 70's, and 80's that are still participating in the sport, even after 40 or more years.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Catamaran Racing for the 90's is a good book. Really any basic sailboat racing book will do to get you started though. What you're after is just something to generally explain the process of racing. More advanced books will get into detail that is way over your head (and possibly even over the heads of sailors who have been racing for decades). Sailboat racing is something of an abstract sport as there are a lot of variables at play, some of which can be very difficult to perceive or that are totally out of your control.

I would get a basic racing book and familiarize yourself with the overall process of the race (start, upwind leg, downwind leg, finish). After that, it's really just a matter of getting out there and starting to race. It's likely to be very frustrating at first (and possibly for quite a while), but the more you do it, the better you get and one of the great things about racing is that, as long as there is at least one other boat to race against that is as good of a sailor as you or better, the racing will always be challenging, and that's what will keep you coming back. That's why there are Hobie racers in their 60's, 70's, and 80's that are still participating in the sport, even after 40 or more years.

sm

Word. Thanks. I'll get some Internet shopping done ASAP an pick up a racing book that has some good reviews. I work on commercial ships for a living, so having something to dig into while I'm out there would be really nice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mluis2112 wrote:
Other stuff?

1. Get a waterproof digital watch with a timer function to track the starting sequence for a good start. It does not need to be expensive.
2. Take drinking water and a snack. Drink before you are thirsty to stay hydrated and keep a clear head.
3. Sunscreen.
4. Read the Sailing Instructions well ahead of leaving the beach. Sometimes things change between regattas.
5. Read, sail, read, sail. Repeat. Racing will vastly improve your seamanship very quickly. Nothing to it but to do it, and the more you do it the better you get.
6. Don't be shy around the other racers, as they are very likely to help you in any way they can, on and off the water.
7. Go on a diet to lose weight.
8. Learn how to gybe in high wind.