Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I acquired a used bravo this week, and took it out several times this weekend. The winds were not great, but the bravo was!

On the drive to get the it home, I broke the clip on the strap (Furler Strap w/ Clip 90501036, in the parts guide) nearest to the mast. I made due with tying the strap closed, but figure I should replace it. Is it tough? I assume its just drill out the rivits and rivet in a new strap & clip setup.

What exactly does the strap do? I can't riddle its purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. I just got a Bravo too. Sailed it once. Fun. The only thing I can figure on that strap is that it's a backup in case the mast support fails, whether that be the side with the bolt or the hinge. It's a safety strap so that the mast doesn't come crashing down on your head.

I had a very old hobie 16. Craigslist special. I had about 1 thing break per trip for a while so now I just expect stuff to break even though that part of the design looks very robust.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup, that strap holds the mast if that little metal arm comes lose from the screw. I actually had this happen in high winds with two people on the Bravo. The boat can flex a little bit, and that metal door can open. I made a couple minor modifications to allow the screw to sit a little bit deeper into the small metal arm, and Hobie has redesigned that metal arm since my boat has been made to include a hinge which allows the screw to sit a little bit deeper into that arm.

I can't see the little arm failing anymore on my boat, but it can't hurt to have that strap done up (and replaced) because if you do have a failure, that mast will come down in a hurry, and the way the tripod on the boat is angled, the mast has nowhere to go except towards the boat's occupants.

It's highly unlikely, but you know that if it's going to happen, it'll happen to the boat with the broken strap. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When in doubt, use duct tape.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

frankc1200 wrote:
When in doubt, use duct tape.

But don't duct tape the mast. It needs to rotate. When in doubt, replace it with the proper part. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

True, forgot about the rotation...