Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo for young kids?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found a clean used Bravo and my 7 year old son wants it bad! We have an Opti but we sail off a beach and the dagger board is a hassle in shallow water. Plus we don't race and there are few Optis around. My son calls the Opti a slow bathtub. He feels the need for speed!

Is the Bravo too big for a 50 pound 50 inch kid? I'll be with him for a few sails but he wants to solo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the sail can be reefed so it would make sense that this boat would be perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gree2056 wrote:
I think the sail can be reefed so it would make sense that this boat would be perfect.

Gree2056 is correct about the sail being able to be reefed. The Bravo would be a great boat for a kid to sail. In heavier air he could have the sail reefed or all the way out in light air. Plus he could grow into it. The boat is easy to right (for me at 180lb) and is forgiving to sail. Although I'm not sure about a 50lb kids ability to right it. He may not be able to solo for a few years.

I wish I has access to a Bravo when I was 7! :)

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone had a bad experience with kids sailing this cat? Mine are almost 10 and almost 8. They already tipped over last year and they are not heavy enough to right it themselves. Any tips advises or stories you want to share?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvTXRCVIm_M&feature=related[/youtube]

looks like fun but I still worry sometimes.You may want to turn the audio off :wink:

Last edited by cezar on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Watching the video, I noticed the kids didn't try righting the boat using the righting line (couldn't tell if it was installed). It does give an advantage, but I think it will be to much for someone weighting 50 lbs.

One thought to control the amount of sail to be let out is put a knot in the reefing line, limiting how much sail is let out. Just remember the more the sail is reefed in, the more tricky it is to come about.

Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Want to revive this post... Am considering getting a Bravo and wonder if my 2 kids (9 yr old son, 65lbs and 6 yr old daughter, 50lbs) could right this boat. Maybe a sunfish would be better for them?... for now? I just thought maybe the bravo could be a boat they sail together but I could sail solo when I don't want to go through the more involved setup for our H16. We're going to test one out on Tuesday. Any input? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

At that age it's going to be a family activity anyhow so if a Bravo flips, there's always an adult around to help right the boat. I have two girls aged 7 1/2 and 9, each has a Bravo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RobDek wrote:
At that age it's going to be a family activity anyhow so if a Bravo flips, there's always an adult around to help right the boat. I have two girls aged 7 1/2 and 9, each has a Bravo.

OK, you're absolutely right about an adult being around... Working together can your two girls right the bravo?

Thanks,
Travis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They haven't yet dumped a Bravo under my watch....but stay tuned...it's on the list of things to do..