Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st Sail and thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is my report of my first sail. The long waited day has come I had to work al day Friday the sun was shinning, wind was blowing after a week of cold weather and rain, Got off work at 5:00, hitched up the boat and was off to the lake, (lake is only 3 miles from where I live) Got at the lake and the County Sheriff was there and had to expect all the paper work, Glad I got it registered That took more time than rigging the boat, one note it is much harder to step the mask with boat on the trailer than when the boat is on the ground. With the boat’s short length its hard to just walk it up from the boat. And the boat is to high sitting on the trailer to walk it up standing on the ground.

I got the boat tied up at the dock, parked the car. Then noticed the wind had died to nothing. I could see a couple of ripples on the water and felt a little breeze so off I went. Wow, I was amazed. The boat just took off, looked at my gps I was going 4 to 5 mph with nothing more than a breeze. No heeling action, after an hour of playing, I called it quits as I find it uncomfortable to sit with my feet in front of me.

Next day Saturday Temp 62 deg, winds 18 to 22 gust 27 reported from the local airport. Got on the water about 2:00 in the afternoon, yes it was quite windy. Now my lack of experience will show with this kind of boat. I took off have no idea how fast I was going as the gps went the front storage compartment the Life jacket went on and I was holding on for dear life. I tried to hike out a little but felt like a would fall to windward during any wind lulls So I just sat on the rail as normal and uncleated or luff up during the gust, the wind was not steady at all and was quite a work out. One gust I wasn’t fast enough couldn’t uncleat fast enough, hard to get used to as it is backwards from my daysailer. I found my self swimming. No sweat righting, getting on the boat a little more difficult, I pulled myself up on the bow noticed that the main sheet wasn’t cleated so I reefed the sail limped in shivering like a wet cat. I had enough. I look forward to a 80 deg day with winds 10 to 15.

My conclusion, the boat is a performer, more than I expected. I do have to get in shape. To me its uncomfortable when winds are light and a workout with a blow. I’m sure I will find the boat more satisfying with a stead 15 mph wind, with a comfortable hiking position and an exciting ride.

I welcome your thoughts and experiences

Marlen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marlen,

Sounds like you had some fun, don't sweat flipping it, most people do. What I did was to tie a line to a side brace, pass it in front of the forward brace and then to the other side brace. I left it long enough so I could pull it into the water and form a loop to put my foot in to re-board the boat.

Also, when its really gusty, I don't cleat the main sheet. I just hold it and when the gust comes, some line just feeds through my hand automatically. I do wear sailing gloves, so my hands don't get chewed up, or rope burn.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Charlie for your reply,

The rope idea is excellent. I read the manual and it said grab the hiking strap, no way unless you happen to ride a swell that throws you in the boat.

I guess I will have to adjust my main sheet cleat angle as it cleats with a normal pull, you have to snap the line to get it to uncleat, found it impossible to ride with it in the uncleated position. Yes in the past I would sail that way with the ratchet in-gaged and just holding tension on the line. and also the cleat is backwards form my daysailer, so its just something I need to get used to.

I think I found a solution to the uncomfortable ride when the boat isn't healed. I bought a throw-able life preserver cushion, tie it down so I don't lose it, and sit on it on the rail.

I don't fear capsizing the boat and just look forward to a good steady wind and warmer weather.

Thanks
Marlen