Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extra Security - Boom
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Today, I dumped the boat for the first time with the boom attached. Everything was fine when it went over but there were a few concerns noticed after I righted it (very easy to do!). The boom had disconnected from the mast... maybe I hit the boom when I fell, not sure. Anyways, the boom was only attached by the vang as the mainsheet S-clip had released. Needless to say, I was very quick to better secure the boom - not sure how long it would float before sinking!

After furling the sail in the middle of the lake I reattached the boom and reconnected the lines. Just when I had the sail out (flapping quite a bit in the fresh breeze) the mainsheet let go at the S-hook. This reminds me of a previous post describing the same conditions.

I found the winds a little strong and ended-up completely removing the boom and tying it to the A-frame so that I could furl the sail a few turns around the mast. Has anyone else partially furled the sail with the boom attached? Any issues?

The combined solution to solve each of these issues will be some type of stainless snap hook which will better secure the boom to the boat to avoid potential loss. Ideally, it would be lice to keep the gooseneck closer to the mast, perhaps with some type of strap?

I am currently not planning to change the S-hook on the vang - it is less critical in my opinion.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was there a different / better solution?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Today, at my kid's sailing school, the boom on my daughter's Bravo popped out twice while sailing. Have to find a fix for it before it gets lost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can make a leash out of Velcro to go across the U clamp that attaches the boom to the mast. It would help hold the boom to the mast through a capsize. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Must have been a fluke...the kids dumped their two Bravos over multiple times this week and it didn't happen again. The boom is connected to the sail, vang, and sheet so chances are slight of ever losing it....keeping my fingers crossed!!! Altho, I did squeeze the mainsheet hook so it can't jump off so easily.