Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used Hobie Bravo a few weeks ago, and I have a (pretty dumb) question about the furling line.

When I bought the Bravo, the furling line had ripped, but the seller replaced it with a new part that he bought at a local Hobie dealer. But the way that the line is wrapped around the mast right now prevents the "furling" function from being used.

If I cleat the furling line at 50% sail area, and then pull on the main sheet, the sail will still open up to 100%, despite the fact that the furling line is cleated-off.

It seems to me that the sail should wrap around the mast in a counter-clockwise manner, and the furling line should wrap around the mast in a clock-wise manner, right? Or am I missing something? Thanks for the help in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not sure that I 100% understand you here but it seems to me that the most simple solution to your problem would be to...

-- remove the furling line by untying it from the knob on the mast.

-- Spin the mast until the sail is tightly coiled around it.

-- Re-tie the line to the knob on the mast.

-- Now every time you pull the mast out to use, the furling line will have naturally been coiled around the mast to the correct length. Cleat it when you reach the sail size you want. Once the line is cleated, the sail can't pull outward any more as the mast can't pull in any more of the slack.

If you want to make 100% sure it gets furled in completely (as sometimes the slack in not 'tightly' winding the sail results in a foot or so left out when you pull it back in) then manually add an extra loop or two after re-tying the line to the mast. Personally, I find this foot of extra sail negligible so I'm OK with it.

Also, I 'personally' find the line actually ends up working best if in the second step, I wrap the sail with a clockwise twisting motion. That way, as I eventually pull in the sail by pulling the line through the loop on the right bar of the a-frame, (right next to the cleat,) the angle the line has to pull through the loop is not as sharp.)

Again, I wasn't 100% sure what you meant but I hope this helps.

Last edited by Murph_PEI on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Vetteman,

Murph_PEI's description sounds good to me. If you are still unsure, I could try to make a quick video to show you how it works. Once you understand how it works, you'll see that it's very simple.