Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo-like inflatable?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wish that I had known earlier that the Bravo can fit in a full size pickup bed, even tho Hobie specs rate it as inches too wide and feet too long... maybe Hobie is wary of making promises for states that are picky about overhang loads. Anyway now in my life I have even less storage/transport capability and have looked at 2 very clumsy products that resemble a downsized inflatable Bravo... Hobie could do better!

How about Hobie offers a twin pontoon inflatable sailboat?.It probably needs metal crossbars with fabric tramp. You could have some nice long metal oars that double as mast sections with (flat) blades convertible to daggerboards. A sliding seat would be nice but hard to implement. A rudder with tiller could double as a paddle. Use a similar non-furling sail with shrouds that Hobie's inflatable kayaks use. A beach ball atop mast to prevent overturns. Deflates into a rolling suitcase with a few metal tubes externally attached.

I want one! Because steering with a tiller gives much better control over the sticky rudder line approach in kayaks. Because pontoons give you heeling leverage, or makes a nice platform for floating at rest. And rowing can be a fun and powerful alternative to pedaling if configured properly.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

By golly, I can practically prototype such a catamaran now with equipment on hand! For the pontoons, you can put a couple of drop-stitch inflatable SUP's on edge, like Hobie's 12'6 Tour Inflatable ...then no daggerboards are needed. You could use the 2 SUP paddles as oars and mast sections. A cool variation would be to use one oar as a scull... can be powerful when you throw your standing body into it like a Venetian or Chinese:

Image Image