Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garage Hoising a Bravo?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This will be my first of many posts in this forum because I'm excited about getting my first Hobie! As opposite as these two crafts are, I'm considering either an AI, or a Bravo.

When researching the AI, it seems many people have a garage hoisting system in place.
When researching the Bravo, I only find pictures of it being stored on a trailer, or something resembling sawhorses. There seems to be no concern for hull deformation that I keep reading about with the AI.

My question is - can the Bravo be hoisted like the kayaks? Or is it just too heavy?

My garage space is small at 19' 4" x 19' 6" (with the garage door closed), and with 1 car parked inside. I would have to drive to any body of water (central florida - but close to 100s of lakes), and I live in a cookie cutter community where I would not be able to store a boat outside.

In my head, I envision a hoisted Bravo and a trailer tilted on it's side against the garage wall. But I don't know how realistic or safe that would be.

I'm currently leaning more to the AI, but I would love to sail out on a Bravo! I need to consider all options.

Thanks!
cameron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can tell you that I hang both my Wave Hulls from my garage ceiling in the winter. I'm not sure what portion of the 245 lbs total weight that just the two hulls are but I feel very confident with them up there. In fact, I park my wife's Mini Cooper under them for the winter. So I don't just risk a car, but probably my private parts, if it were not secure.

As long as you get some appropriately heavy eye-hooks screwed deep into a solid beam, they should easily hold. I have six eye-hooks in total. The middle two share a strap for both hulls to either side. Your setup would be a bit different of course.

Drill smaller pilot holes as screws that wide are tough to turn and also to verify that you really are lined up in the middle of a beam. Screwing into the edge of a beam can feel like you nailed it. Until of course, it gets under load.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info! Won't be a problem to build something like you describe. Time for more measurements and garage cleaning.
thanks
-cameron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to hoist my H-17 to the garage ceiling. I used 4 - 4:1 blocks (cheap hardware store pulleys) and had straps sewn with D rings to cradle the hulls. The boat weighed about 300# and I could easily hoist it up to the ceiling.

Too many canoes and kayaks