Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo's
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:D Hey I am going to get a Bravo. Can anyone tell how happy they are with it overall? Any suggestions about options? Thanks in advance.

bobby43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:00 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
its a great boat very well thought out. so far there the best selling cat for 2007 for us! When its windy I put on in the back of the truck and head to where the windsurfers are and go reaching around with them. I would get a dolly and a Hobie short profile life jacket. You will be happy with the boat, every that buys one always sends there friends back to get one!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My 60 year old father bought a Bravo back in 04 and has really enjoyed it. While not as fast as a traditional cat it is still faster than most monohulls. We clocked it at 11mph with the two of us on board with a GPS. It is a great boat for someone who is learning to sail but is still fun enough for the seasoned sailor to have a good time.

I would suggest getting the Bravo sail cover. This will allow you to store the sail furled on the mast (assuming you have a place indoors to store the mast and sail). This makes setting up and derigging a lot faster.

The Bravo comes with a U shaped hook that is used to attach the main sheet to the clew of the sail. While this is a simple to use connection it is also lame. :( I would suggest buying a good snap shackle from your dealer and throwing away the stock U hook. :) My father was out on the lake by himself on his Bravo and had the mainsheet "unhook" from the sail while he was tacking in heavy wind. The sail was luffing quite a bit during the tack and it came unhooked. He had a good time trying to get the mainsheet reconnected to the sail while out in the middle of the lake pitching about in the waves.

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:16 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

we have had wave sails come unhooked, we just squeezed the hook and little to make the opening tighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Powercat wrote:
I would suggest getting the Bravo sail cover. This will allow you to store the sail furled on the mast (assuming you have a place indoors to store the mast and sail). This makes setting up and derigging a lot faster.

The Bravo now comes with both a sail cover and a sail bag.

As for the sail hook, I had it come undone once also. Rather than fight the sail, I just furled it. Rehooking was easy then,

And I'm with Brad... Bravo is a great "toss in the bed of the truck" boat - as long as it's a long bed fleetside. Great giggle factor.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a Bravo for my wife last year and she loves it. I sail a H17Sport and would have to coax her to come along. Now she is the one coaxing. The Bravo comes complete, though the optional boom is a great, if expensive (~$300.00 additional). The boom greatly improves off wind performance. I also made a wind vane for her that attaches to the front of vertical post of the mast tripod support. It is the only cat I've sailed where I can say a capsize is truely fun and easy to recover from. 8)

Post subject: Mast Float Necessary ???
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the mast float really needed ??? It reminds me of those old "Aquacats" you used to see...

I think if you're fast enough, and have the mast capped, you'd be OK...

BTW - I just got my Bravo, and haven't tried it yet, cause I'm on the Atlantic, and the surf has been WILD the last few days, but I'll let you know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast is in 2 parts and not sealed, so the bob does help. As an added feature you can tell the uninitiated that it is a radar dome, and doubles as a sonar when turtled. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BTW - I just checked out the mast, and the comp tip is sealed at both ends. The lower part is just riveted on, no evidence of sealant, but I think the whole mast will float pretty good without that bob thing...

Post subject: Love the Bravo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my new Bravo out six times in 5 days. For that reason alone, it is a terrific boat. We have a small lake, 15 minutes from the house. With the Bravo, I can be saling in 20 minutes, sail for an hour or so, and be back before anyone realizes I've been gone.

It is a great boat to learn on, sails in almost any wind, and can easily take two people out for a great time. The roto-molded hulls seem impervious to rocks, concrete boat ramps, etc, no worries or concerns.

The reefing main is unbelievably convenient. If you want to take a break, beach, whatever, two seconds, you have depowered, and everything is under control.

I find myself constantly looking at flagpoles, checking the direction of the wind, and thinking... I could be on the water in no time. I wonder if I could sail at lunch, and still get back to work?

I love my H16, but a larger lake is 1-1/2 hours away, and with 30+ minutes to rig / launch and the same to retreive, its a full day deal to go sailing. It is a GREAT day when I get to go, but there are plenty of times, I'd love sail, but just can't get away for the whole day, or, can't find someone to go with me. If I lived on the water, or could leave the H16 rigged and ready to go, it would be one thing. Since I don't, the Bravo seems a great solution.

One of the amazing things about the Bravo is how responsive it is to shifting the crew's weight, fore/ aft/ hiking out. The immeadiate connection between wind gust => crew leans back => boat balances is very cool. Not having been out on the trapeze on my H16 yet, I can only imagine how addicting that must be.

If you are thinking about your first sailboat, want your kids to be able to use it without worry, and / or the only convenient water is relatively small, the Bravo may be worth a look.

One of the great things I've found about sailing is that it is very personalized sport. The reasons for sailing, boat preferences, water, wind, etc, vary for everyone. I'm impressed that Hobie seems to have a solution for just about everyone.

All this is my humble newbie sailer's opinion. I offer this only as encouragement to anyone sitting on the fence, without a boat. Think about why, when, where, and with who you're planning on sailing~ and go do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been sailing Hobie 16's a 14, and now the Bravo for over 20 years (I also had a Piver 42, and sailed to the Bahamas several times).

It's more than just a personal thing for me - it's a connection with nature and the Creator.

You'll notice it more and more, as you experience certain things that no one else can feel or explain - especially after you think you're gonna die a few times - LOL !!!

Post subject: Bravo was smokin'
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My phone at work rang at 4:20. My 17 year old son, said, "Dad, its really blowing, can we go?."

We pushed off from the shore at 5:15. I'd checked the computer for the weather and it said wind @ 19 mph. When the wind blew my hat off and it sailed across the parking lot, I thought - hmm, seems winder than 20?

We both hopped on, sheeted in and took off. Small lake, consistent whitecaps, and small waves....in no time we were both hiked out, windward hull up - kissing - the tops of the larger waves, and we were ripping along. This is with the main reefed in about 15% and two of us on board. What a blast!

Later on the 10:00 news, the weather man reported gusts of 43MPH at 5:40PM. Branches and trees blown down..... What a great little boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just took my Bravo out in the Atlantic off Juno Beach Monday. It was blowing about 15 mph, I'd guess I was going about 12 or so, and she handled fine. I had adjusted the block's cam cleat lower, but too low. I caught a gust, and went up at least 60 degrees - almost over, but the sail had dumped most of the wind, and I did get the cleat loose after a few seconds, but the water was cold, and I really didn't want to get wet that day...

I did replace the hook with a snap hook, otherwise, I agree with what everybody else said, I got a dolly, and had to get a narrower axle to fit thru the dune walkover across the street, but that's why I moved close to the ocean - to sail !!!

Here she is:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/JunoJim/OnDolly2.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:50 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Jim, does the dooly work in loose, very loose sand? The sand here on the gulf coast is some of the loosest sand I've ever seen, we have a hard time finding a smaller tire that will work in the sand, they all sorta seem like a sand plow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your sand is very fine, in fact it "squeaks" when you shuffle your feet, right ??? I've been to Egland AFB...

Anyway, our sand is normally courser, and easier to plow thru, and even easier, now that they've "renourished" the beach with very course sand that they strip-mined off the coast, but that's another story...

It's not too bad, if the boat is balanced on the dolly, and you're pulling, but those wheels they make for the bigger Hobies are the best.

Unfortunately, I can just barely fit thru the walkover now, sooooo...

I've always wanted to set up a small box on the beach, with solar panels on the roof, & a battery(s) & electric winch inside - charge all week, winch all weekend - LOL