Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too Big for Bravo?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Simple question - I am 6'4" and weigh 260lbs. Is the Bravo right for me? Are there any other "large" Bravo sailors out there would advise me to go all in on a new Bravo? Looking for a boat to train the kids, but would also like to have some fun on myself.

pdxspencer

Post subject: Re: Too Big for Bravo?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Everybody will say you're too big. Here's some first hand experience. I'm5' 11" 240lbs. I sail an 18 magnum, and a 17 sport. My youngest Son sails a turbo 14. Point being, my wife sailed with my son an I for years. Last year she announced she wanted a boat of her own to learn on. We looked at lasers, sunfish, picos and just about everything else. I finally found a Hobie Bravo and it seemed right. As I said I'm 240 and my wife is normal woman size. The bravo sails very well with both of us on board. I sit up front and she does all the sailing. (She really does not need me I'm just there for moral support) In my opinion the bravo is the perfect teaching tool. It handles weight well. Tacking is a lot better than you think it would be. The rotomolded hull is bullet proof. It is super easy to rig. I can stand on the edge of it without it turning over. My youngest son drives it hard! It has very good performance. But now for the best part. My wife has a low threshold for wind speed. Anything over 8 or 9 knots and she is done. Many times we have sailed way down the beach and the wind will begin to fill in. As soon as she starts to worry you just grab the line and partially furl the sail. Easy! Wife stays happy and safe. Did I mention it also has a cooler and cup holders. Anyway, as a big cat sailer I'm impressed. Hope this helps..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response! Yes, very helpful. Although I have raced larger keel boats for a number of years, I myself have no real small boat experience. I am looking for that perfect boat to introduce the family and to give me a little fun and it sounds like the Bravo might be the one. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 6'1, weigh about 100kg and can still sail the Bravo with my wife and two children. I love the Bravo and have a blast with it in good winds. On the flip it's the perfect boat and very forgiving for teaching young kids the fundamentals of sailing. HTH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the weight of a person does not matter as long as he can manage everything and most of all he has the willingness to achieve what he wants to.