Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am storing my Hobie Bravo in my marina's dry dock and am designing a method to keep the mast/sail dry and out of the elements. I've thought about how to do this from many other posts here about trailering the mast during travel. My need is to actually store it during the week outdoors as our dry dock is not covered, though it is gated. Mast/sail protection is certainly the one thing that I believe the Hobie team might have created for trailering, and this to the owners advantage, but I that's probably why we are working on the solution ourselves. I found the 4" and 6" PVC at places like Home Depot and Lowes to be in 5' sections and quite heavy. For this reason, I went to a different aisle for outdoor drainage pipe, also PVC (usually next aisle over) as this is much lighter. The trick is getting some PVC wide enough to include the ringed spinner around the lower mast (the part that slides into the A-Frame on the Bravo. If this portion is long enough, then it should be fine holding the rest of the furled mast into the 4" portion. Do you all have any thoughts about this? Cautions? My dry dock is positioned in such a way that all sailboats can leave the dry docks mast up and drive straight to the launch ramp. Anyway, this is my idea and when I set the pieces next to the furled mast, it seems like it would work:

For a professional solution to trailering, do check out Harry Hamilton's posts here and his Youtube video. Very well done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Jeff,
Nice design! Let us know what the total weight is when you get that assembled. We might want to incorporate that into a trailer option. If it is used on the road, I'd recommend to be sure that you are using the "sleeve" (tarp-like cover) that came with the sail so that as it vibrates around in there it rubs the sleeve and not abrade the sail.

Your configuration should cure all of the static storage issues.

Look forward to some of your lake videos?