Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First sail
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Took out our new (to us, it's a 2012) Bravo today with the wife for the first time. Light and variable breeze on a local lake and had an absolute BLAST! I can't wait to get it out solo in some real wind. As we we're making our way back (leisurely) to the ramp, I realized that this was not only my first sail in my very own boat, but my very first sail on a cat! SOOOOO easy to set up, launch and load up for the ride home. Now I'm anxiously waiting for the breeze to pick up and start flying hulls!

Post subject: Re: First sail
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had my bravo about 3 months, but am lucky to live on a lake. Grew up sailing a Hobie 16, but don't have the time or desire to rig a full boat these days. You can easily fly a hull on your Bravo, but there's very little room between flying and flipping. I've found it best to control the boat with the sail, don't bother clipping your line in unless your in light winds.

I also put a rubber grip on my tiller handle. I found in a good stiff wind, if you start going over, just steer upwind real fast and the boat will settle, if it doesn't, let the sail out. Its basically like sailing with just a jib.