Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered a Bravo, mainly because I only have space for just the boat (not the trailer too) in my garage. (Also, I want to avoid the expense and hassle of a trailer if possible.)

In my garage I’m building a 3-foot high metal pipe rack with PVC rollers to slide the hull (stern first) in and out of my Toyota Tundra. The lake nearby has some options for water’s edge launching and retrieving. So, I’m thinking I can slide the hull off the tail gate (and probably off my T-Bone bed extender) and into the water. The challenge will likely be single-handedly lifting the stern back onto the T-Bone and tailgate and pushing it back into the truck bed. The truck is 4x4 so could probably submerge the back tires and wheels a little bit to help.
Any tips or experience in this process and special material that will allow hulls to smoothly slide in and out of truck bed?
Thanks much!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck with that. I've seen people struggle with what you're proposing. Unless you are superhumanly strong or always sail with someone else, it's going to be a struggle every time you try to launch and recover.

I've also got a Sunfish, and the most often asked question on the Sunfish Forum is how can I cartop my Sunfish, by myself? They have a hull weight of 130#, and the answer is always, you are going to have to have someone else help you lift it up there.

My Hobie 17 also wouldn't fit in my garage on the trailer. I put up pulleys, and lifted it up off the trailer so I could then back my trailer all the way in. The Bravo is a lot smaller and lighter, so I'm sure you could come up with something simple to raise it up off a trailer, like a boat lift sort of device.

If you are strong enough to lift it up and handle it, I'd take off the Tbone extender when you launch and recover (and put it back on to support the boat when driving.), or build a roller onto the Tbone. Make a roller to sit on the edge of your tailgate to roll the boat on and off. I've had to drag my Getaway on and off the carpeted bunks on my trailer and it does require superhuman strength. Fortunately, I have that (in the form of a winch).

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Bravo, it is super easy to move that thing around. You don’t need the Rhino rack, the weight is spread over 13 feet, it’s no issue at all to lift one end and move it a foot so the end sits on the edge of the trailer or truck bed, and lifting the other end and pushing it into the truck bed won’t be an issue. You’ll spend more time figuring out where to put the mast on the truck. I use a removable ladder rack and crossbars over the cab. You can back your truck to about 10 feet from the water, pull the bravo out and set the front down with the last foot or two on the truck tailgate, use the handle to move it forward to the edge of the tailgate, gently set it down, push it a couple more feet into the water, step the mast, attach the rudder and be ready to go in 3 minutes, it’s that simple of a boat. It takes longer to go park and walk back to the ramp than to load or unload and get the boat ready Where I sail.

Picture of the ladder rack I use (with the island, but works great for the bravo sail too)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you both for the input. I guess I’ll find out in a week or so (after delivery) whether I can singlehand it.