Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just replaced the original lower main sheet block with a new one with a CAM. The problem is the angle is wrong and its almost impossible to un-cleat it. It looks like I can remove the 3 screws that hold the cam assembly to the block, rotate it and reinstall. This would put the CAM at a better angle. The only issue I see is that I would have to drill a new hole for the ratchet lever.

Before I do this, I wanted to check to see if anyone else has made this adjustment, or if there is a better way of doing this.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After looking at some pictures, I had a good idea of what angle the cam should be in. So I disassembled the CAM and found that the center of the pulley could be rotated. Not at all what I had pictured in my head. Now I have it all back together and tried it out (on land) it looks like I'm good to go.

The wind on the lake was kinda gusty today, and with the cam not working properly, I did get the chance to practice how to right the boat. At least there wasn't any alligators around.

Charlie

Post subject: Lucky You
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I envy you. I have to wait until I get my boat (April) before I can check all these things out. I am hoping at that time I can don a wetsuit and head out or I may have to dig out the drysuit. The water takes a while before it warms up here (CT).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I feel your pain, back in the day I lived on Long Island and sailed my Sol Cat out of the Port Washington and Northport areas. During the summer it was more like drifting than sailing, the only good times were in the late spring and early Fall.

I went with a wetsuit, was easier to move around in, especially when trying to right the boat.

Post subject: What new block?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

oerterch,
What new block did you get?
May pick up a new Bravo soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The original block was a Holt auto ratchet with a Becket. The second one I purchased was a Nautos with ratchet, cam and Becket. I purchased it from a local Hobie distributer for $35. Looked on-line and found that's the going price. What I really wanted was the Nautos with ratchet, cam and fiddle to get the 3:1 ratio, but didn't want to wait till he got some in stock.

There are other brands such as Harken, which cost more, but look like they have an easier method for adjusting the cam angle.

For me, the adjustment "steps" on the Nautos puts me on either side of where I want it to be and no way to get it just right. So I have it setup to be more difficult to cleat, and real easy to un-cleat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oerterch,

Picked up my Bravo last week and I am interested in the main jam cleat block you are speaking of. Anyway you can give the model# of the Harken or the Nautos with ratchet, cam and fiddle to get the 3:1 ratio so I can look it up on their website. Thanks.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Randy,

Nautos is build by Holt, the website is www.holtnautos.com

I checked the Small block product table, and it looks like the Ratchet Block with fiddle and cam is HT92072. BUT don't go out and order it based on this, check it out for yourself.

The Hobie part number is 90700111 Block Fiddle Ratchet w/cam. The list price for the Hobie part is $35. My local guy didn't have it, tried to purchase it on-line, one shop wouldn't sell it because there was a distributer in my area. Some sort of policy Hobie has with distributors and maintaining list price..

What kind of block came with the Bravo??

Charlie (oerterch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Charlie,
You are probably going to think I am crazy. I picked the boat up brand new in Rhode Island on April 16th. Between the weather, work, & having my whole interior of my home painted I haven't even unfurled the sail. Normally I would have had it set up and broken down 10 times by now before I wuold ever set sail so I would look like an Ace not an Ass when setting up at the launch, but I haven't had the time. To answer your question... I haven't looked at it, for all I know it could be what I need.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Randy,

You haven't touched it for 2 weeks! I could never do that. I purchased mine used, cleaned it up, made sure everything was secure/solid and gave her a shake-down sail that afternoon. I will say being in South Florida, right on the water was a big help.

In light air I use a 2:1 system to reduce all the line on the deck. The 3:1 really helps when its blowing like stink.

Hope you get out soon.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Charlie for the info. I'll let ya know when I get out (soon, I hope).

Randy

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You're probably already aware of this, but I would stress caution when you adjust the CAM angle for the block. I wanted to adjust the angle for my new Bravo as it was too high and I had difficulties cleating the line. I followed the directions and studied the pictures. I unscrewed the bolts without incident. The manual then indicated to pry the bracket to allow adjustment - with this the rachet system flew apart.

I was lucky enough to find all of the parts (a small spring, metal cylinder and plastic piece) and figured out the mechanism. You need four hands to put it back together, but it is possible. It is all working now.

In-fact, I adjusted it one more time as I went too low the first time - so that now I could not uncleat it! This time I VERY carefully adjusted the bracket and it shifted without incident. Be sure to focus your movements on the non-"handle" side. I'd suggest keeping gentle pressure on the "handle" side to keep the assembly together.

Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bdg,

That's a good point. The second time I adjusted my cam angle, I broke my rule about only disassembling things only on my workbench. It was a beautiful day, so I did it in my backyard. It took over an hour to find the spring in the lawn.

Charlie