Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main Block
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I first purchased my Bravo (used) it had a Holt auto-ratchet block with Becket. I picked up another block from a local dealer, Nautos, ratchet block with cam and Becket. Both of these are 2:1 systems and on heavy days, I would have preferred a 3:1. So to try it out I attached a small block to the Becket and used some spare line I had. I had a block w/becket for the boom end.

The 3:1 makes it easier to manage, but there's a lot of line on the deck when close hauled. When the bows dive, it gets washed around and takes more to keep straight.

So I was wondering what everyone els has, 2:1 or 3:1, and any hints to keep all that line straight, and not under my feet all the time.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How much space do you have between the blocks when you are sheeted in hard? You could use some line (or get real fancy and use a Harken strap-head block or Ti-Lite) to hang the upper block from the sail a bit lower, so that when you are sheeted in full, you are very nearly block-to-block. That would cut out some line on the deck by allowing a shorter mainsheet, possibly by quite a bit if there is lots of space in the stock position (is a 3:1, each 1 inch that you cut from the stack height means 3 less inches of line on the deck).

Just a thought!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not block to block when sheeted in hard, will have to take a look of how much room I have. I alternate between using a Boom or not, depending on my mood that day. With no boom, I have just enough line in the 3:1 system to furl the sail around the mast, the knot at the end of the main sheet is up against the cam.

A long time ago, in a former life, I used to race Sol Cat 18's, and used to tie the end of the main sheet to the tramp lacing. That way the sheet was always available if the line was washed overboard. But there was a lot more room for the extra line.

Thanks for the idea, I'll check it out this weekend.