Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage Options?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As the owner of a new Bravo, I am trying to find ways to address the limited storage options on the Bravo. This limited storage was fully understood when I purchased the boat, but I am trying to find ways to make the space more useful.

I have used some space on the A-Frame to supplement the two storage hatches. As an example, I've purchased a bike handlebar GPS mount (RAM-Mount for my Garmin 60CSx) which works really great. I've also added a small extendable paddle to the A-frame which is simply connected with two very small bungee cords wrapped around the frame and paddle.

The front storage is useful for a few small odds and ends (cell, keys, a few drinks and snacks) with a watertight bag and I have also used some space in the back access hatch. I've learned that I have to be really careful with the back as items can easily migrate to the pontoons - the one time this has happened required some "fancy" moves to retrieve the container (in this case a sandwich container which I thought was too big to migrate out!).

Does anyone have any novel ideas / suggestions to help with storage on the Bravo? I've considered a simple dry-bag as well, fastened to the A-Frame, but have not yet done this.

I'm looking for enough storage for a few small additions, such as:
(1) Throw line
(2) Another paddle (maybe just a mirror of my first solution)
(3) Extra sweater / shell
etc.

Some folks have indicated a spot for a handheld VHF - where is that kept? In the front access hatch for use only in an emergency?

Any thoughts / success stories would be most appreciated!!!

All the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BDG,

Hobie sells a hatch bag that you can use for the rear hatch. It will keep things from ending up inside the hull. I have the smaller bag, don't know how much bigger the large bag is. Here is a link to the on-line catalog:
http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/08_4-5.pdf

For the paddle, I have a telescoping paddle and attach along the bow. I have been out in heavy winds and stuffed the bows, it hasn't come off yet.

For other small items, including my phone, I hang a bag between the mast supports. It can't hang to low because it will interfere with the boom vang, if you have the boom option. If everything is zippered in, it will stay dry, even if you flip the boat. Tested I have tested this. If you turtle the boat, everything will get wet.

I'm sure there are other things to do.

Charlie

Post subject: Re: Storage Options?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great suggestions for storage of gear and especially the paddle - I will definitely implement them on my new Bravo. Thanx, oerterch.

Now all I have to do is find the right place to mount that small block Chevy for those windless days :mrgreen:

My home page

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thought that I would pass along my strategy..... which includes the following:
(1) Garmin GPS for speed / bearing information
(2) Folding paddle secured to the A-Frame with (2) bungie cords
(3) Small depth sounder - required for new lakes which I might go to for a sail - there are lots of shallow spots!

These pics are of the Bravo in my garage....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

very nice arrangement. Where did you acquire the folding paddle? I just grabbed one from my Skiff and it's way too big and bulky - really gets in the way. I never considered a GPS or depth meter, but thinking back, there have been several times when I've been out in my skiff fishing and had rainstorms so thick I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me. Would have been totally lost without the GPS. What battery power do you use for your instruments?

My home page

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The paddle is available from many locations. I believe that these are sold by Hobie (p/n 3091) but I purchased mine from Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/MarineSafety/PRD~0790002P/SeaSense%2BSurvival%2BTelescoping%2BPaddle.jsp).

The GPS is very hand and I would not want to sail without the benefits / enjoyment of the GPS. I did have it inside the A-Frame but the new boom caused interference with the boom vang, so I moved it outboard of the A-Frame. I use a RAM mount and would recommend these VERY highly. I also secure the lanyard to a shackle on the A-frame (not completed in the pictures).

I've tried several iterations of the depth sounder transducer, including mounting it with 3" suction cups to the "hull extension" just in front of the rudder. This sometimes comes out of the water and causes this depth sounder to require a reset / power-up. I am currently using it mounted to the rudder with (2) 3" suction cups. So far so good.

If our lake waters were clear, I would not need the sounder. I find that I am busy enough keeping an eye open for other boats, watching the sail and wind, etc. without having to regularly look for bottom as well.... the sounder helps to reduce this requirement.

The sounder is powered by a small 12V 6Ah sealed lead-acid battery. This is more than enough to power the depth sounder (as long as I keep the light off!). I currently have the battery secured behind the depth sounder in a small camera bag. The battery was salvaged from a small battery-operated compressor which I no longer required.

The Garmin GPS is powered with two AA batteries and these NiMh batteries will keep the GPS running for 10+ hours.

For sailing in our harbor, I have a hand-held VHF for potential contact with the Coast Guard (from my days of sailing a 27' sailboat). I do not know where I could mounted this for easy access. I do carry a cell phone under my life jacket in a waterproof container.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I am sure that we can all learn from one another!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi BDG,

I'm new to the forum as well. My Bravo just got delivered on Sunday. I've been lurking for a while and I like to try and be helpful at least once on a forum before I pose a question so here is something I thought of when I read your post.

Re. a throw rope. As a sea kayaker, I always have one of these throw bags attached somewhere. The bag keeps the rope tidy and it has a strap with a clip so you can attach it to just about anything. When required, throw the bag with the rope still in it (holding the loose end of course) and the bag gives it some weight so you can easily throw it the full distance.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/SafetyEquipment/PRD~5007-610/north-water-wedge-spectrx-throw-bag.jsp

It will fit nicely in a hatch or just clip it to whatever suits you.
Note. I don't see a mention of the clipped strap on this model but it probably has it. If not, it should be easy to find a model that does.

Hope that earned me a question as I do have one for folks regarding the a-frame setup.