Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone!

I was out on a heavier wind day, and we were having a little difficulty controlling the rudders. We just adjusted them this spring, but it looks like one of the camlocks doesn't want to stay put. In addition, the delrin screw is pretty chewed up, and we have some hairline cracks on my rudder for my Hobie 21SC up in Vermont. I wanted to replace the rudder blade pair along with getting a new adjustment kit. I've done some crawling through the web and the forums, and is it true that I can use the same rudders from the Hobie 16/18?

The 21SC parts catalog lists the rudder as 20490011 and Hobie 16/18 Parts catalogs say: PLASTIC RUDDER BLADE 0493000 and EPO2 BLADE CARBON 20490020. Another catalog I found online says BLACK RUDDER BLADE 20490011 for the Hobie 16 which is what I think I already have on my boat since it matches my catalog number for the 21SC. My rudders are black fiberglass. I'm confused about what part numbers are really compatible. What is the best rudder blade I should try to get for my boat? Or would I just be better off trying to repair (or more likely have someone else repair) my existing blade. Will the performance of the boat change much for better or for worse with the EPO rudders?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Here's a boat video in case anyone wants to see our 21SC in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9g9anCCDj8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

For sure better performance using a fiberglass rudder blade, but the current nylon blades are fine for recreational sailing. Yes, same blade as the Hobie 14,16,17,18,18SX,21SC.

Currently offered rudders are the:

20493000 RUDDER BLADE - WHITE NYLON

20490030 RUDDER BLADE EPO-3

Rudders changed several times over the years. We don't have black any longer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My boat (21SE) has longer rudders that are no longer available. The good news is that since they are fiberglass, they can be repaired with a bit of effort.
I found it pretty easy to learn to do glass and gelcoat, but any boat repair shop should be able to fix them up for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Tod, the head of one of my 21SE ruders was broken, one side only. I tried a repair with Fiberglass and epoxy on top of existing coating, but probably too light as the broke appeared again.
this is a 15cms vertical line: would you recommend to remove the original fiberglass and redo again from the foam? I am conscious of the thickness constraint .
Ludovic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am about to go into a production run on some new Hobie 21SE rudders built out of Mahogany. If anyone needs a set, get back with me. My plan is to build three sets of which two sets are already spoken for. :)

Let's keep these boats going strong.... :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bill,

I'm new to this forum and have a H21sc that is being overhauled and upgraded with Pentex sails and a square top main. Thanks for the offer to keep the 21s going strong by making replacement rudders. I'm curious to see what your rudders look like. Have you seen the wood rudders on the two H21s that were sailed around Cape Horn by Beto Pandiani and three other guys about ten years ago? Their rudders were beautiful laminated works of art. https://www.flickr.com/photos/betopandi ... 68671/show

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

what about using epo2 carbon rudders on a 21sc? I have a set from an h16, it seems I have to plug one hole and open a new one since the rudder casings are different. do you guys think its worth it ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

k1124 wrote:
what about using epo2 carbon rudders on a 21sc? I have a set from an h16, it seems I have to plug one hole and open a new one since the rudder casings are different. do you guys think its worth it ?

I maybe over simplifying the situation, but I don't think the carbon rudders would be worth it. The 21sc sails fine with the stock plastic? rudders and they can take a lot of abuse. If you wanted to turn this family station wagon into a sportscar then the first thing I would do is remove weight (catbox, front tramp). It certainly wouldn't hurt using the carbon rudders but I would probably sell them and take the proceeds for other upgrades.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NikNot90882 wrote:
k1124 wrote:

I maybe over simplifying the situation, but I don't think the carbon rudders would be worth it. The 21sc sails fine with the stock plastic? rudders and they can take a lot of abuse. If you wanted to turn this family station wagon into a sportscar then the first thing I would do is remove weight (catbox, front tramp). It certainly wouldn't hurt using the carbon rudders but I would probably sell them and take the proceeds for other upgrades.

yes, but my plastic rudders are warped, since I had the epo2 laying around I'm going to use them, I had to sand the coating off and I'm going to re apply new coating, I also plugged the holes and drilled new ones using he old rudder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 am 
Site Admin

You will love the EPOs.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)