Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing SC 21 mast
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My H21 mast is still in tact but wonder if I break my comp tip if I can replace my mast with an aluminum one without the tip. And just change out the hardware and standing rigging. Is the mast a common extrusion made in the US ? Who made them ? Is a new comp tip available for an older Sport Cruiser ? I was given an old holder and the comp tip broke off it so makes me wonder how long of a life my comp tim has.

Will
Oriental NC

Post subject: Re: Replacing SC 21 mast
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast extrusion and comptip were made by Hobie, and I am quite certain they are no longer being produced. You would have to check with a dealer to find out if there are any remaining stock available.

One of the worst things you can do to a comptip is to leave it out in the sun, exposed to UV. If you trailer sail, get a cover for it or make sure the mast is stored in the shade. If you leave your mast stepped for long periods of time, then I suggest shooting a couple coats of spray paint on the tip every few seasons to provide protection. If you keep the mast in good shape, the comptip should last many decades.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yup - no longer made, BUT that's not the end -

A guy very successfully put a H18 mast and sails on his boat (a 21 SE) and it seemed to work really well for him. The SE is only a bit lighter and I think is close to the same hulls. You can actually retrofit a number of masts to the boat, given you're going to replace rigging. I think a Hobie Miracle 20 might use the same mast ball as well. It's not a race boat, and you'll be able to still fly a hull with the 18 mast (apparently), so.... You COULD also replace with an entirely different make, like a Supercat mast or one of the later generation carbon fiber ones, but then you're likely going to need to put in more work ensuring the rigging and base are right. The flex of the mast will change and the sail needs to fit the new mast, or get a new sail custom made...

I'll second keeping the comp tip covered - I'm at the point of needing to re gel-coat mine...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ChuckC wrote:
Yup - no longer made, BUT that's not the end -
A guy very successfully put a H18 mast and sails on his boat (a 21 SE) and it seemed to work really well for him. The SE is only a bit lighter and I think is close to the same hulls.

Actually it was my 21 SC. It works great. I have pushed the boat reasonably hard 3-up with the H18mast with no issues except a torn jib, but the mast can hardly be blamed.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=61361&hilit=mast&start=15

srm wrote:
One of the worst things you can do to a comptip is to leave it out in the sun, exposed to UV. If you trailer sail, get a cover for it or make sure the mast is stored in the shade.

Totally disagree. Best thing that ever happened to my comp tip was leaving out in the sun behind by garage after it fell off while sailing. Good riddance. I had a lot of issues before it broke off. Multiple times the bolt rope slipped out of the plastic tracks... It is hard to drop a mast when the sail is still up.