Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Gang,

I’m looking for a spare mast or comp tip or even broken sections of Hobie 21 SC mast. I’d like to have it for back up if I ever break my comp tip. I’d like to have the sections to splice my mast of ever needed and simply fabricate a new mast top crane and block.
Loving my 21 SC

Will
Ph 252 571 8911
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've wondered the same thing myself. I can't imagine there are any spare 21sc masts available on the secondary market. After looking at the design of the comp-tip and even the patent drawings, it wouldn't seem too far-fetched to have a modern comp-tip made out of carbon fiber. Even availability to a solid aluminum mast would be nice. Personally, i'm more concerned with having a strong and light mast as opposed to non-conductive.

As a side note to Mr. Miller if he is reading this post. We greatly appreciate your and Hobie's support of this community. Any chance Hobie would be willing to share any of the technical drawings for the H21sc? I've greatly benefited from the gin-pole schematics. If there's anything that shows the mast or inner hull structure it would really help keep these boats alive and on the water.

Thanks,
Erik
H21 SC # 945

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NikNot90882 wrote:
After looking at the design of the comp-tip and even the patent drawings, it wouldn't seem too far-fetched to have a modern comp-tip made out of carbon fiber.

Thanks,
Erik
H21 SC # 945

My comp-tip will be for sale to the highest bidder , next spring, in April
or May ; it's in Good shape. Will be local pick-up only ; a Great excuse
to come visit Las Vegas !! I will place the current highest bid, at the bottom of
this post ; as it happens.

I plan to mold it, and build one with epoxy, 1/4" Nomex honeycomb
and S2 glass , (with a lot of Uni) ; it should be 30% lighter and near twice
as strong as a stock one, (and Non-conductive) . NO i don't plan to sell
them because of liability issues ; the money isn't worth it.

Bille

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the Hobie 18 mast the same as the 21 SC ? Molding a new sport cruiser comp tip sounds like a great idea. I bet an 18 mast section could be spliced onto a 21 section and still work well

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

H18 is a much smaller section. The 21 mast was unique to the original Hobie 21 and VERY stout. The original mast was 33 feet tall. The larger section is important due to the weight of the boat. It may be better to work with a spar manufacturer to replicate the entire length.

Here are a couple pertaining to the 21 SC mast:

[url]Image[/url]

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.hobie.com/web_uploads/2021/12/06/36581000_H-21_Cruiser_Complete_Mast_Assembly.jpg

Hobie 18 Extrusion:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.hobie.com/web_uploads/2021/12/06/606110X_H-18_Comptip_Mast_Extrusion_Cut.jpg

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try Aquarius Sail Inc.

The ARC-17 mast is 28' 9" :wink:

The Hobie 21SC mast is 29'

For the 21SE the mast is 33'

And the ARC-21 is also 33'..... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Matt for sharing this information!

It looks like the topic of 21se and Sport Cruiser masts has been going on for years and will probably continue. I see posts for everything from making custom epoxy replacement tips to even talk about Aquarius partnering to get some full length extrusions made.

I can't imagine the cost of having new masts made would be ever make sense.

To all those that are willing to experiment with making your own comptips please share your experiences. There's obviously too much risk to sell them, but sharing any success in design or technique would go a long way to helping folks build there own.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had good luck adapting a hobie 18 mast to the 21SC after my comp tip failed. To vaguely answer some questions:

Is it the right length?
No, but it also doesn't have the right mast base. I made a custom extra extra tall mast base to make up the length difference.

Is it strong enough?
That depends... Hasn't broken yet though. I wouldn't go 4 up double trapped off the wing, but short of that I suspect it is good enough.

Is it lighter?
It is light enough that I can just barely step it without having to rig the gin pole. That is a huge time saver at the boat ramp.

Does it have a comp tip?
No, it is a solid stick, as such the bolt rope doesn't pull out of the luff track. Also the top doesn't break off without warning.

If anyone wants the lower 2/3's of a hobie 21 SC mast I have one available, near Traverse City, Michigan.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two Hobie 21SC masts for sale, one with a mooring light and the bob for $450.00 and another mast with a repair just a foot above the mast base for $200 in Cleveland Oh. I made my Hobie into a kite boat and have no need for a mast.