Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm an ex H18 sailor. I had one for about 10 years. Was sad to see it go.
I want to get back into cat sailing. I'd like to find a good 21SE. I'm up in Alberta.

I have some questions... I'm reading everything I can on these boats but not finding answers to a few things.

1) Do some 21SEs have round top sails and others have flat tops ?
2) Can you still get new sails for these boats ?
3) Some wings seem to be bolted to the cross beam and hull while other wings are just a single post that slides into the hull. Was there a change up somewhere along the way ?
4) Is there a questions to ask/things to inspect document for when buying one of these boats ?

That's it for now... thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1) The stock sail from Hobie Cat was a “pin head” sail. Aftermarket sails can be made either pin head or square top.

2) Hobie stopped making sails for the 21 a long time ago, but you can still get new sails from aftermarket sail lofts.

3) The original design used sockets molded into the hull that the wing posts dropped down into. That design never changed from Hobie, however you may find some owners have modified the wing setup for one reason or another.

4) Standard inspection points that you would use for any Hobie- check for soft spots or damage in the hulls, corrosion on the metal parts, condition of the sails, and general completeness of the boat. Keep in mind that it has been out of production for several decades and only a relatively few number of boats were ever produced, so any replacement parts will be hard to come by.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
1) The stock sail from Hobie Cat was a “pin head” sail. Aftermarket sails can be made either pin head or square top.

2) Hobie stopped making sails for the 21 a long time ago, but you can still get new sails from aftermarket sail lofts.

Good to know.

Quote:
3) The original design used sockets molded into the hull that the wing posts dropped down into. That design never changed from Hobie, however you may find some owners have modified the wing setup for one reason or another.
OK.

Quote:
4) Standard inspection points that you would use for any Hobie- check for soft spots or damage in the hulls, corrosion on the metal parts, condition of the sails, and general completeness of the boat. Keep in mind that it has been out of production for several decades and only a relatively few number of boats were ever produced, so any replacement parts will be hard to come by.

This post seems to indicate that 774 21s were made. Is that correct ?
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7300

Where is the hull number/serial number on these boats ?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt Miller would be the guy who knows, and in that post you linked, he said that production numbers aren’t published. The hull or sail number doesn’t necessarily indicate the total number of boats built since hull numbers may jump between model years and there are likely more sails built than boats (spare sails). But he did say a couple hundred boats built.

Regardless, it is a relatively small number of boats built (as compard to say the Hobie 16 which is ten’s of thousands of boats), so the used/spare parts pool for the Hobie 21 is extremely small. If you break or are missing a major component (mast, centerboard, wing, etc.) you will have a very hard time finding a replacement.

The hull number should be etched in the transom of each hull, just below the deck lip.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking at purchasing a 21SE.

- all the pieces are there except one seat is missing.
- rudders and center boards look good
- one hull needs a bit of work, but I can do that easily enough
- hulls are firm, no softness
- sheets look old and weathered
- sails are serviceable, but old
- tramp was removed, looks OK, but it is still old
- cross beams look good
- mast and boom are good.
- mast spreader needs straightening
- straighten the spreader
- fix mast ball
- re annodize the aluminum parts
- new tires for trailer
- no spinnaker or pole
- no gin pole

I suspect it will need the following:
- a wing seat
- sheets and running rigging
- standing rigging
- eventually a set of sails
- eventually a new tramp and seat covers

I've found sources for rigging, tramp and seat covers, sails and sheets. I'm pretty good with fiberglass. I wouldn't have a problem making a set of rudders or centerboards.

I loved my Hobie 18. These boats seems like a lot of fun and to be a great family boat. Should I spend the time and money to refurbish a 21SE or is it no longer worth it ? Funnily enough, there doesn't seem to be a new, modern equivalent of these boats and if there were, it would probably cost a small fortune.

Am I approaching this correctly ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

wow, sorry this reply is so late, but I renovated an SE and found it to be a stable, easy to sail boat. Several People can sail on it easily. Only Down side is that its heavier and has to be handled as such.

Actually Uses a lot of the same parts as a Hobie 18. For example, the boom is longer but the end caps and traveler car is the same. Same Blocks, mostly. Same luff track, I believe, etc. Wings are specific, as is the mast. Sails readily available new from Elliott Pattison or Whirlwind. Running rigging is easy. Standing rigging should be replaced if old or unsure and can be made for you easily as well.

3 years on mine and counting. It's actually a wonderful boat that can be driven pretty hard and is FAST on a beam reach. Most fun I've had is sailing just offshore longer distances. The length and mass makes it handle the little chop really well.