Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, I'm interested in options for mounting my jib blocks (likely going to end up with a 4-way, like a H-20), but also noted that the 21SE parts calls out a barber hauler, though the manual doesn't mention it in the build.

Mostly trying to improve pointing and DW performance. Still pointing 20 degrees lower than everyone...ugh.

Opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A barberhauler won't do you any good with pointing, and is just more stuff to get in the way. Rigging won't make the boat go higher. You may point higher, but too high just adds leeway into the equation. The boards aren't the most efficient, but you have to keep them working, and not stalling. Sheet the sails all the way in, and keep it steady in the groove.

I installed large (now called "standard") Harken swivel bases to ease handling of the jibsheet, and like them a lot. Should be pictures on these forums somewhere.

https://www.harken.com/en/shop/cam-clea ... se-swivel/

They're mounted on the jib track cars, so the position is adjustable. It's been so long ago, that I've forgotten how I did the mount. I can get pictures though. The boat is still here, under cover.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Barber hauler is a second thought for going downwind.

Upwind and moving the blocks in off the hulks is what I will experiment with- ala Hobie 20 setup. Just couldn't get over how much lower this guy is pointing, and we've got it in the groove. The biggest problem is the damn handicap for the boat...kills me in the rafe, always.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upwind, the groove can be put anywhere in a wide range. Footing is usually faster though, because the centerboards are not very efficient for pointing. Wings above are only as good as the wings below can provide. Point high, and you'd better be checking your leeway, and VMG to windward.

I've told here before about one memorable race in San Francisco Bay on the Prosail circuit. This particular race was blowing a bit over 20 knots. I had gotten a good start, right to windward of Ed Baird headed towards the windward mark. About halfway up the first windward leg, Pete Melvin crossed behind us.

Pete was sailing Much lower than we were, but he was FLYING. He was traveled all the way out. I yelled over to Ed, "Ed, what do you think of what Pete is doing?" He yelled back, "I could never beat him in college either!", but he didn't sail any lower, so I couldn't cover either.

On a cat, pointing is not the end all.

Pete crossed in front of both of us before the Windward mark. Both Pete and Ed went on to have good careers in America's Cup.