Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you keep you're sails Luff from rubbing on the luff track while furling the sail? i had to keep pushing it aft to try keeping it clean up and down while spinning on the boom.

In the video Matt just pulls it up and down without appearing to have the same problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's always easier on video...

I share the same problem, but you'll get used to it. Honestly, I don't think there's any thing you can do about it. Changing the angle of the boom by adjusting the length of the topping lift so that it's perfectly level would be about the only thing you could do, other than mastering the technique. One hand cranks, while the other hand feeds the boom.

Speaking of boom... it can be a real head crusher if the the wind changes on you while running downwind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have found that keeping the mast from rotating is key. a bit of twist will really mess you up in furling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I bought my boat I wondered what was the purpose of the mast rotator (on a non-racing boat) since the mast auto-rotated on every tack.

So I removed it, one less thing for the jib sheet to get caught on.

Then I sailed in San Diego Bay in light air and chop (Labor Day weekend) and the mast would swing back and forth, slamming hard. I'm putting the wishbone rotator back.

BTW, on Tuesday I took the boat back to Mission Back singlehanded. By Cabrillo Point the gusts were about 20 kn and I hit 13 kn under main only. It was quite scary (I'm a cat newbie) so I took a reef. It doesn't work. The mainsheet gets all twisted and the main looks like (censored).

This reef system is designed so you take a reef BEFORE sailing.

The good news was after I rounded Cabrillo Point, the wind stabilized, I shook the reef and unfurled the jib, the swells were coming from some 150° so I was kind of surfing them upwind, I hit 10 knots while paralleling the cliffs, sunny, warm, one of the best sails of my life.