Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So we got the smart idea to flip the boat so we could learn how to right the thing. so out to the lake we went. left the motor behind but brought the wings to see how they affected the operation.

So getting out to the center of the lake was easy, and the Stretchy line is in place. so we are ready to go.

Both of us get to the Leeward side and grab the trap line and hang over. Sure enough, over comes the boat when a little gust hit her. SO we position the boat and my girl joined me on the hull ready to grab the line, The line that was now 8 and a half feet over our heads blocked by trampolines on both sides and a wing towering even higher in the sky. um, D'OAH!

After about ten minuits of slipping around standing on the hull and jumping in and out of the water trying to figure ways at the line we finally got a nearby motorboat who was laughing at the whole opperation to help tie a line up over the skyward hull and around the mast by the cooler. A quick minuit later and she came over with a crashing wave of water and mast banging sounds.

How the heck do you get to the righting line after a boat of this beam flips, I thought it might be a problem to reach, but there was no way we were getting it back over w/o help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for posting that info, Elfmaze.

I have been thinking on doing a trial capsize in calm waters (Mission Bay) but now I'm going to wait until hearing from more experienced SCers.

Does anybody have any info on whether this system

http://www.catsailor.com/power_righter.html

works for the SC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was actually looking at that system after this ordeal and was thinking. that pole looks alot like our gin pole.... idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Righting the 21SC requires the use of the shroud extenders. You have to climb up the mast to reach the shroud in the air, release the pin and that allows the hull to rotate over center and have the upper hull's weight assist in the righting. This was standard equipment on the 21 Sport Cruiser. The righting line is strung under the tramps so you can reach it easily.

I was able to right it with myself at about 190 and a small woman of maybe 110 at the most. With a righting bag, I likley could have righted it by myself.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, this sounds like a bit better of a plan.

Are the stock righting lines thick and stretchy? the lines on my boat are run on top and are usless once the boat has flipped.

After you have pulled the boat back to upright the mast will be hanging to the one side correct? how do you pull the mast back to straight? With the boom and traveler?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You would want your righting line to be thick for easy grip, but not stretchy. It can have a bungie return to hold it out of the way when not in use, but you want to have a solid line when you're leaning out, so you can get your weight as far out but not be in the water.

I've never used a shroud lengthener, but for reattaching, you should be able to just tack so the loosened shroud is on the leeward side. Sheet in the main a little to load up the rig, the mast will bend, and the crew can go down an re-connect the shroud.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the line we have on there is a bungee wrapped line it feels like. It stretches to a point and then the inner cord is solid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The part that I don't understand concerns the righting line. It goes from the aft crossbeam to a ring under the forward crossbeam.

That ring is right under the middle of the cabin.

I cannot find any opening to send the line over the "upper" hull, to hang from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

The line runs from the rear to ring at the main beam and across to the opposite side and aft again. Once the boat is on its side, simply reach up to the line running along the hull in the air and pull the loop down (bungee was holding it tight). Then lean out to right. No need to go over the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm no expert at this, so don't hang me for what I may suggest. I have only once righted my SC solo, and I did it in knee deep water. I had a line thrown over the top of the wing, and at the time did not have the shroud extenders extended. Could I do it in open water? I don't know, but think it might be feasable. Oh, I also unfortunately tip the scales at 200#

Planning ahead for the event, I've made four lines that I've added a 1" diameter by 12" PVC pipe to each end. Basically, I thread the line part under the wings, two per wing, one forward and one aft. I also have made another grab handle from PVC and a stainless hook so that I can stand on the lower hull and reach up to pull the righting line handles out from under the wings. I keep this under the boat attached to another pole for easy access. Keep in mind these righting lines are loosely threaded and do occasionally drag behind the boat when slapped free by wave action.

I also made a power pole of sorts from a fiberglass pruning saw extention pole...$20 at Big Lots. For S&G's I padded it where it may impact the hull with a swim noodle when the hull comes crashing down. One end of the pole is tied off the the dolphin striker rod....the other to the back cross beam. I have another line that I can attach to either port or startboard sides of the dolphin striker to provide a leverage point and so the pole won't break. Another stainless eye was added to provide a connection point for a righting bag and some blocks, but I have yet ot purchase either. For the record, I have yet to test this, so I can't say for sure that it works.

As a last resort I have a modified shock cord righting system strung around under the tramp.

I know the boat was made to use the shroud extenders, and I believe Matt in saying they'd make righting a lot easier. However, due to a rather BAD experience, which may have just been a fluke, I'll never use them again unless there is no other option. Matt, you can mark me down as being once bitten twice shy .... No offense !!

BTW, Hurricanes still SUCK....I took my boat apart in fear of Hanna, and now Hanna is going to be a no show. Which is a good thing, but I missed some good sailing weather, and now we have IKE on the way.... Go back to Tina, Ike.