Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21SC 'Lite'
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

McGyver
Before the holidays you asked about any other modifications I've made to 21 SC.
In making our Hobie 'Lite', I removed the console to give us more deck space and thus easier for the Kids to frolic back and forth from the trampoline to the forward hammock while underway.

I then found a semi-soft cooler (rigid plastic bucket inside), added nylon grommet straps on sides and across bottom for anchors (glued on with 3M FoamFast 74 spray adhesive) and put two reinforced grommets into trampoline to replace the large ice-chest. Cooler line runs through trampoline grommets and tie to dolphin striker.

www.violaphoto.com/hobie21-soft-cooler.htm

We carry six 32oz hard plastic bottles (with coffee-style snap-lids), bananas, Snickers and Reeces Peanut Butter Cups. The cooler lid opens on top as well so the main compartment zipper does not have to breached.

An alternative to the plastic bottles would be twelve 12oz ice-cold aluminum cans, or a combination thereof. Please note refreshments containing the word 'Lite' do not qualify as Adult Beverages.
In the front zipper pocket is my Casio G-Zone waterproof cell phone (exclusive to Verizon wireless), a 16ft 1/4" nylon line and a couple of ss quick-pin/shackles.

Hanging from the boom is an inflatable, large-lid SeaSafe (attached with quick-release clips which I need to shorten). Inside are pliers, adjustable-wrench, straight (slotted) and phillips screwdrivers, folding knife, waterproof Ikelite flashlight, cash, ID, boat license, pieces of small nylon line and a couple more ss quick-pin/shackles.

www.violaphoto.com/hobie21-seasafe.htm

I carry a Leatherman tool and another folding knife on my pfd, as well as complementing quick-release clip to attach SeaSafe just in case we have to swim back to the beach. Reckon it was my years sailing deep sea as a merchant marine officer that makes bailout 'safety' a priority.

Last, removing the console (which is not for everyone) will allow me to install a jib sail 'barber-haul' for better reach sailing.

Hope that invigorates your 'McGyver' creativity. When you have time please give me a shout offline as I have some San Diego questions.
Thanks!

franklin j VIOLA

www.violaphoto.com