Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello guys. We are trying to get our trampoline made but want to get it right. could one of you post a pic of a 21SE trampoline so that i can give it to the lady making the tramp. it would be very helpfull to get a full picture / pictures asap.

Heres hopin...... want to get the beast off the beach !

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sometimes it is much easier to just email the pictures. Send me an email and I will reply with pictures.
spesce at pacland dot com.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My tramp is off the boat
Do you still need the pictures
I could lay all pieces flat in driveway and take picture on my Blackberry phone

My boat will be in the water next weekend
I will try to send pictures
gary

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

doddsy937 at hotmail dot com
thanks gary, yes please

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sent some camera phone pictures picture quality is poor I will try again with a real camera
Tramp is about to go to shop to be restiched tramp material still like new threads rotton New thread will be uv resistant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At the base of my mast for a 21SE there is a fitting missing. if anyone has their boat close to hand and could send me an email of the bottome 12-15" or so of the mast that would be great. if not, this fitting is sat above the bottom of the mast four rivots. any idea. i need to replace what was there i think in order for things to work correctly before the mast can go up. thats another thing, we dont have any attachments or easy way of getting the mast up. does anyone know of a way, without the help of a trailer as the boat is sat on the beach, to get the mast up?

rudder tops being repaired in carbon fibre as the top halves had been broken of completely.
trampoline should be with us in 10 days time
new spinnaker pole
got the centreboards working, lots of little pebbles jammed up int the box. they still work like a treat. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Go to youtube and search Hobie 21. There are 6-8 videos and they all show parts of the rigging somwhere in the video and generally in action. The 21's do appear to be rigged differently though. The SC has an uphaul that cleats and a roller furling main that raps around the boom. The SE has an Aussie ring that hooks at the top of the mast and does not need an uphaul cleat at the bottom of the mast and has a loose foot of the sail. BUT, while looking at the video of the hobie 21 from Belgium they have an uphaul that cleats, but it also has a loose foot. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain...

Good luck. My mast is down and do not know if pictures would help....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Spesce. I will have a look. I cant imagine what it can be for. might just put the mast up and see what it all looks like......any ideas on that ????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have only done this 7 times and therefore, I am no way an expert or even an intermediate. I did learn a few tricks from this forum and other 21 users. The SC is way different to the SE and I do not know if there are many similarities to raising the mast on them. The SE does not have a gin pole, has curved cross bars which makes utilizing trapeze wires to prevent mast from swinging side to side and the mast is 4 feet longer (heavier). Here are my tips and suggestions;

I use the trailer winch hooked to the forestay underneath the furler.
I place a 6' extension ladder 4 paces behind the rear crossbar and rest the mast on this while attached at the ball. I also have already attached my mama bob to the top of the mast.
I have the wings in position and tied with the trapeze wires / bungees outside of the wings and the side stays inside of the wings.
Side stays in top or second adjuster hole.
Have one experienced crew at the trailer winch and one experienced crew (me) on the rear of the tramp and one inexperienced person (grunt) at the ladder. I have found with three people the raising of the SE mast is easy.
The person on the ladder raises the mast as far as they can until the winchman can winch. The winching is hard because of the low angle of pull and the higher the mast goes the easier the winching.
The person on the tramp ONLY keeps the mast from going left and right.
The wincher needs to winch as fast as possible, because the higher the mast goes the more stable the mast. If the mast starts to swing they need to make sure to not stop winching.
As someone suggested to me I need to build a quick bipole for the rear of the boat to raise the mast just enough to allow the winch start pulling the mast up and thus eliminating the thrid person on the ladder. The bipole needs to be maybe 6 feet above rear bar. Then one person to stabilize mast and the other to winch. I don't think I would do it with less than two people and preferrably three. I won't solo the boat anyways, so this should not be a problem.

Bringing down the mast is the reverse and the bridle wire pins removed from the furler is the only standing rigging I remove. The only other difference to lowering the mast is to winch slowly, as the mast comes down quickly. The person on the ladder needs to be prepared and once they touch the mast the winching can slow way down to not hurt the person on the ladder.

I wish you good luck as if the mast gets away you can get hurt someone or something......

It's easy :wink: :? :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much for taking the time to write all that down. I will let you knolw how it all goes. looking forward to a nice force four coming across the bay.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I built a trailer with an A-frame attached ahead of the front crossbar. Raise the 'a-frame, attach trap wires and winch it up, no fuss, no sweat. It leaves the forestay free to hook up.

I'll get my boat set up soon so if anyone wants pictures of anything I can post them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to see pictures. All ideas are good ideas and any help with raising the mast more comfortably would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your reply tom...any ideas regarding the bottom of the mast in my previous post?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kings Photos showing the A-frame for mast rasing.

Tom you can describe better than I.

http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv33 ... =slideshow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kings Photos showing the A-frame for mast rasing.

Tom you can describe better than I.

http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv33 ... =slideshow