Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been really trying different tricks but still taking around an hour from arrival till we get in the water.

I've been looking at some of the things that have been taking us time.

1) The rudders are just a killer amount of time. Anyone leave them on while trailering?

2) We already leave the stay lines attached. Anyone leave the trap lines tied up as well? maby leave the mast raising bar bunged to the mast while trailering there? walk the mast back, rotate, undo bungies and raise the mast?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Set up time usually takes me around an hour and two beers.I though about eliminating the two beers but that made little sense.If I am going to Lake Monroe in Bloomington Indiana ,I leave my rudders on.Lake Monroe is an hour from my home.I always leave the boat wide.My suggestion is just leave early and spend at less two days at the Lake at a time.My family always love late night sailing and camping too.At Paynetown State Recreation Area,on Lake Monroe,you can leave your boat set up over night and no one bothers it.It is a nice safe and clean state park with good security people.
Good Luck,Bill 404 21se.........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have minimal input as I have only set-up three times so far at the lake. Last Sunday I was able to be on the lake in 55-minutes breaking the 1-hour limit. I still think I wasted at least 10 minutes with my double doing some tasks. I can pack down in 40-45 minutes. Here are the few items that I think have saved time so far.

:arrow: Have a hard copy list of all steps. This will allow the crew that is unfamiliar with the steps to grab any task and go.
:arrow: Have an experienced crew to help reduce tasks almost in half! My crew is my 15-yr old son who has only done this 3 times, but is getting the hang of looking around to see what is remaining to be done.
:arrow: Leave the SE full width.
:arrow: Leave rudders on.
:arrow: Leave all standing rigging attched to the boat. I only remove the bridle pins at the furler. I bungee bridles to the dolphin stiker.
:arrow: Weave stays and trapeze wires through the wing lacing a few times. Thanks to Matt Miller on his rigging video!!!
:arrow: I have a full 8' width tramp bag with 4 sections. After drying everything from sailing, I repack the trampoline bag. This holds 3-4 wetsuits, 3 harnesses, extra line, dock lines, righting bag, camera, and a few spare parts. All I need to do is throw bag onto boat and lash down.
:arrow: I also contain everything in three bins plus motor. Therefore, I do not need to search for anything.

I hope this helps, but most everyone probably already knew these short cuts and I am looking forward to learning more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One shortcut I rigged up was to put the trap shockcord underneath the wings. It went through a couple of lightweight blocks to where you want the trap wires to attach. There are no shockcords going down to the main tramp. The whole system is inside the wing lashing out of the way of everything. Only one exit on the outside of the wing to attach the trap rig too. This was mainly to get another tangle factor off the tramp while sailing but it had the added advantage of being one less thing to deal with when rigging and unrigging. Unhook the trap. Turn the wing around. Done.