Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21 SE Across the pond
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings. Glad we have found you guys. We recently rescued a 21SE from our local club and are putting it together so we can blast around the bay ! There are none of these around where we are so we are winging it. I am pretty sure we have a large kite but the pole was snapped by the owner. can you tell me how long they need to be? does it vary on chute size ?

Are the masts supposed to be sealed units as this one had water in. ( now out ) Apparently due to being pitch poled, again not by us.

Does the Tramp need to be from Hobie ? we are on a real budget....

Any help would be appriciated so we can get this out on the water. It has been sitting for 3 years, i ve been looking at it for 2 and we finally dragged it out 2 weeks ago ! Looks completely crazy on the trailer going throuhgh the small town where we live. we even had to take it off the back of the car to get under a bridge. !!!!

Warmest Regards

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Masts should be sealed.

Tramps for 21SE are a non issue. We no longer offer a replacement trampoline for the 21SE, so an alternate source would be required.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for that Matt

Any ideas on the pole length?

Post subject: Photos
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

does anyone have any photos of a 21SE under full sail with the kite up???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You mean like this?
http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/?Page=2183

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hope you enjoy the boat
hold on its very powerful
check out my post for improvements
Gary
Hobie 21SE
USA 415 STARS AND STRIPES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the photo TC. Screaming reach, now thats exactly what we are talking about. one problem, they didn't have the kite up !

Cheers Gary.
We got the sails out in the garden yesterday and wow!
The box hasn't been open for 3 years! so you can imagine we weren't expecting what we found. Really nice pink and purple main and jib and then we pulled out gorgeous kevlar sails which are in brilliant condition. Have a few more repairs to do to get her out on the water though but its looking good.

centre plate springs ( they are jammed up at the moment )
have the trampoline made ( would it be best in one piece or original as in two piece and with the draw string down the centre ? )
Rudder blades are shot ( having a boat building pal look at them or made out of wood )
New spinnaker pole

It says on the link that TC sent through in standard equipment the boat should be rigged with a double trapeze system, we appear to have a triple system rigged ? any ideas on this ( looks like fun though )

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the original owners book
it has a lot of good info
I used the book to rig my 21SE the first time
It really helped

I could try to scan if you can not order one

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will try and order one first, saves you the hassle but thanks very much and if i get stuck i will shout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

one thing that would help alot is a picture of an original tramp if that is possible. It would help us get it right and if you know of anyways to make it better we could add that into the build at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the original Hobie issue vinyl tramp which was ok but hard to keep clean It was white.
Replaced center and wings with black mesh
This is the way to go no worry about dirt no leaves in the fall and a cool spray on those hot summer days
The center tramp laces in the middle with a center rope catcher. It is 12 years old and still looks and performs as new. I leave it on to trailer and then unlace to extend hulls then replace
Don't know for sure but it does not catch the wind when you have it up
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

At the bottom of the mast, just above where the main halyard runs through the block it appears that a fixing is missing. Any photos or suggestions as to what is supposed to be here. another little job to do before we get on the water / get the mast up.

And if any of you guys out there could supply a photo of a trampoline i would love it

Will post a couple of pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fitting at the bottom of the mast MIGHT I say might be the mainsail haylard block for raising the main . The Hobie 21 SE main is a bunch of sail to raise

I pull the rope and the crew works the sail in the luff. be sure to use plenty of lube My block for this is attached to the front crossbar in front of the lacing for the tramp'I plan on taking off the tramp for small repair I will try to send picture My tramp was made by salty dog marine don't know if they are still in business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ok tramp is being built which i am very pleased about. the rest of the boat has been coming together over the last couple of weeks. balancing between racing my dart 18, having a dingey for the family, work and enjoying as much time as possible with my 5 month old its just about perfect. managed to get the centre plates to come out of thier shell, they were hiding with the help of some of the wonderful tiny stones that we have on our beaches over here. This was helped by a rubber mallet and a hack saw blade slid up into the and around the plates inside the box. The spring seem to be in good shape and nearly took my head off as the boat was heeled over on two bits of wood and me looking up into the box to see the offending article. The wing holes seem sound as the water that i poured into them ( thanks for the tip ) is still there. still have the issue with the missing piece of rigging at the bottom of the mast. not the main halyard up block as this is at the bottom of the mast, just a pulley attached with the two newly rivoted on attachment, the offening piece is about 4 inches above this. two rivots each side of the sail slot hold it in place. not sure if its use but want to get it right before the first sail. ,.........cant wait this boat looks so good on the beach and the sails are massive. have a few tornado guys over here who are up for the challenge so we want to give them a show aswell. any ideas on how to post a pic so i can show you guys the piece i am talking about ??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How to post photos.... I may screw this up.

First you have to upload your photo to a photo hosting website such as http://share.ovi.com/

Then you must right click on the uploaded photo and choose "properties". Highlight the URL, do a "control C" to copy.

Next go to the Hobie Forum, open a "topic reply" or a new topic. Now, click on the "img" button at the top left of the page. Do a "control V" to paste the URL, and finally click on the "img" button one last time, and that should be it. U R N bidness'

Good luck. And if all else fails just axe Matt !! (sorry Matt :lol: )