Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been sailing now 12 times on this boat and find that setting the jib downhaul on the beach and leaving it for the day or having to stop to adjust doesn't make sense. Has anyone treid to rig an active jib cunningham system on their boat? I did not even think about it until in my time wasting mode I was looking at the Tiger rigging instructions and saw that this utilized a jib cunningham that appears would work for the 21SE. I have attached the link below and it is shown on PDF page 26.

Link: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/tigerparts-08.pdf

Is this stupid? Is it not needed? If not why not? Other ideas?

Even with good standing rigging tension and an overall tight rig, I think that setting the jib downhaul tension without main up and tensioned makes for different dynamics. I may also be able to use this to reduce my jib flutter. I think that I need a new jib, but in the meantime should be able to have better control of the jib shape.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why do you need a new jib?My original jib lasted only a few seasons and I had Randy Smyth made me a new one.Unfortunately he made it as a mirror image of my stock sail and I had to drill a second hole in my roll furling drum cover and roll up the sail backward to get it to work.Salty Dog made me a bomb proof storm jib that I use on windy days when I am solo or my crew is in fear ............it is nice to have an option

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think a little of both. I definitly need a new jib as I get the flutter sometimes with the higher winds. As with the main sail, I think an adjustable downhaul for the jib would also be desirable. Generally the winds in my area are light in the morning and pick up all afternoon. So when we start sailing the winds are 5mph and around 2:00 they build until dark and will be up to 15-25. So as with any sail, the only way to optimize them for this broad wind range would be to adjust them. This seems to be a great way to maximize sailing.

I think that even with new sails and the wide range of varying winds from 5 to 25 mph on the go adjustment would be best. I guess I will try and let everyone know the results.....