Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21SE is the best boat!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another great day on the lake. 95 degrees and 10-15mph winds. Constant 13-15 mph boat speeds with 4 adults on board for 6 hours. 69 miles in 6 hours 25 seconds Peak speed 17.0 mph. Fun beam reaching all day playing catch with every sail you see :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sure am enjoying this sailing season my.I have sailed already a dozen times by myself in 5-10 mph winds and at least two dozen times in 10-15 0r even 20 mph winds with my friends and family.This weekend I am hosting a get together with my old sailing buddies from the early '80s and some news friends too.Hopeful the wind gods will bless this weekend...sheet in and rock on...Bill 404 21SE :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie 21 SE is the best beach cat ever made and by far the best Hobie Cat
I have loved mine for 20 years
The first owner went out three times thought it was to much boat he didn't realize that he had the perfect boat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is our course for Saturday's sail.

Here is some uneventful video, but still fun to watch sailing..... :mrgreen:

Volente Pesce 7 Hobie 21 SE 8-14-2010 Part 1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMO1hyT2oxo[/youtube]

Volente Pesce 7 Hobie 21 SE 8-14-2010 Part 2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lRgi19KOEs[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You aren't kidding. Just got the boat in the water aug 8th and man am I impressed. A lot of boats were out, we were taking it easy and only had the main sail up!!! We blew past H18's P18's H16's....the only boat I didn't have a chance to go up against that day, which I know I wouldn't have been able to keep up with was a Nacra 6.0 with oversized main and jib and a hell of a sailor...
Again this is just with the main up....
http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/ma ... age/42343/

I have been out about 5 times since and I feel so comfortable...much more than the H16 I had. This boat is super stable and unlike the H16 when a gust of wind comes along the back end picks up a bit and it accelerates instead of trying to fly a hull before really picking up speed.

Also I didn't put the wings on this year, so I am guessing I am missing some comfort too.

Going to attempt to launch the kite soon....will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to run the jib for turning

And yes the wings are one of the things that make a HC21 SE the best ever

I have been outrun once It was some hotshot lesser brand maybe a pringle he had two on board I had 6 adults and 2 kids with a motor and a really really big cooler

This Budda Head thought he really did something :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He is probably still braging about that day when he beat the mighty Hobie 21SE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I picked up the main sail from having 4 batten pockets repaired on my new 21SE (1988). I can't wait to get it out and Sat morning should be the first go. Hoping for about 10mph steady winds for the first time out. Can't decide on the close lake 20 miles away and on the small side with little beach or Lake Texoma (Border lake Texas/Oklahoma) with more shore line than the Texas gulf.

Drew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have sailed my Hobie 21SE on Lake Texoma out of Cedar Mills Sailing Club? and had a blast.This was so long ago that my son was able to sit in a 5 gallon bucket and wash up at our camp site.He is 19 years old now...little too big for outside bathing.
Go for the big waters of Texoma and enjoy the thrill. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bill 404 wrote:
I have sailed my Hobie 21SE on Lake Texoma out of Cedar Mills Sailing Club? and had a blast.This was so long ago that my son was able to sit in a 5 gallon bucket and wash up at our camp site.He is 19 years old now...little too big for outside bathing.
Go for the big waters of Texoma and enjoy the thrill. :lol:

Go for the bigger lake as the boat will make any lake less than 2 miles wide feel small.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Once in the early 90's I ran the Mid America's regatta. 150 Hobies at a regatta, boy were those the days. We had over 40 boats in 16C class. Very familiar with Cedar Mills and were I will go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed in the Mid America's in '93 "Going Platinum",your 20th anniversary and had a great time.That was a very well organized event.Us old codgers should get together and do some for fun only events.I like big water sailing too.There is nothing like sailing for hours on a nice run.As a young teenager,when I started sailing in the early 70's on my '69 Sunfish in Biscayne Bay ,I would sail from the Rickenbacker Causeway all the way down to Convoy Point by Homestead and back by myself and loved it.Sometimes ,I would stop off at Nixon's summer home on Key Biscayne and picnic on his private beach.Those were the days... :D
I always dream of sailing from Miami to Pine Knoll,my old home in the Bahamas and parking on that beach for a picnic.Long ago,houses did not have numbers there but names.I still own the original water colored painting of that pink house and it hangs over my computer station.I would deliver a copy of that painting to the current owners of my old home by the sea and party like a rock star on it's beach.The terraces between the beach and that home have been removed and now there is a main road there dividing that property from the sea.Too bad...The painting was commissioned as the house was just built some 100 plus years ago.It all makes for a nice day dream on a regular bases..........Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It has been a week since my maiden voyage and it was great. The kids talked me into the small lake and I wanted hands to help in setting up the first time. The winds were 5-10 and I was amazed at how well the boat sailed in light winds. I only have a single trap right now and most of the time kids were off on both sides. I had 5 on the boat which was equal to two couples and a kid (My oldest is 245 lb. 16 yr old 6'3"). I did have a few problems that I'm fixing and trying to understand.

1) Mast rotator. Not sure the original owner ever used it so it explains why 4 pockets had to be fixed. We had been out a little while when I noticed the problem and took the end of the main out haul and tied it onto the rotator and ran it through the clamp keeping it straight most of the day. Question: Do you use a separate line? Do you let out when running down wind? How much to work this and when would be appropriated.

2) Jib halyard. This was my biggest problem. Only a 14,16, & 17 I've never seen a furling jib. So I run the line down the forestay as I zip it up. When i get it up I have a large amount of line. So one said I should have a clip and take of the big line and have a small line the would go in to the clip. Right? The rope seemed to small for the cam and slipped causing the jib to be very loose on the forestay. Finally tied a knot at the bottom of where it would go in and it held for the rest of the day. Still had a large amount of rope wrapped around the bridle area.

3) rig tension. I don't think I had enough forestay tension. I did no extend the stays with the shroud extenders because I've never seen one and just tried to pull the forestay into the drum as tight as I could. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Drew

ps. I'll post a pic but don't see the link. Is there one?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
I only have a single trap right now and most of the time kids were off on both sides.

I have 3 traps per side and this works great for the kids.
Quote:
1) Mast rotator. Not sure the original owner ever used it so it explains why 4 pockets had to be fixed. We had been out a little while when I noticed the problem and took the end of the main out haul and tied it onto the rotator and ran it through the clamp keeping it straight most of the day. Question: Do you use a separate line? Do you let out when running down wind? How much to work this and when would be appropriated.

The mast rotator line is a separate line. It goes from the cleat to the rotation wishbone and back to the cleat. There are other posts about the settings, but generally you want the wishbone to point to the side stay. If you want to depower, I generally reduce the roation and have it pointed more towards the stern of the boat.
Quote:
2) Jib halyard. This was my biggest problem. Only a 14,16, & 17 I've never seen a furling jib. So I run the line down the forestay as I zip it up. When i get it up I have a large amount of line. So one said I should have a clip and take of the big line and have a small line the would go in to the clip. Right? The rope seemed to small for the cam and slipped causing the jib to be very loose on the forestay. Finally tied a knot at the bottom of where it would go in and it held for the rest of the day. Still had a large amount of rope wrapped around the bridle area.

Untie the 1/8" jib halyard and tie a 30" (not sure of exact length) x 3/8" diameter line to complete the uphaul tension of the jib. The tail of this line can be placed in the zippered pocket.
Quote:
3) rig tension. I don't think I had enough forestay tension. I did no extend the stays with the shroud extenders because I've never seen one and just tried to pull the forestay into the drum as tight as I could. Any guidance would be appreciated.

The forestay and the side stays should have tension with no loads. Read the assembly instructions posted in the FAQ section on how to tighten the side shrouds. Generally, the forestay controls mast rake and then tension the side stays. Once set, I have not changed the side stay or forestay tension. I keep the same settings for my casual under 20mph sailing. I am sure a more experienced racer will provide input on how much tension.

Have fun with the boat. Definitly, put the wings on for the deluxe ride.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I plan on having it out on Lake Texoma this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I need some HELP!!!

I now realize I'm bringing an old cat back to life. The sail was not as described with one bad pocket but four were totally blown and another section that had to be fixed. No problem the guys at Marineers in Dallas did a great job.

After several hull chips and rudder/dagger board fills things were looking good. I added the 30" rope and the mast rotator line and things were going real well. Had the boat out over labor day in 10-15 wind and the boat was a blast. We tracked down all the big sailboat (36 and a 40) in no time. Then my next problem happened. I moved to the wing where my wife was and the support tube in the hull snapped. We sailed the rest of the day staying off of the wings and I took it to a shop this week.

Now the bad news, not only the tube I heard pop but two others are broken. Both fronts and one on the back. The back had a port hole installed to fix a break (per the owner) but the front has has port holes in the middle where they can't be used to fix the front. The questions are:
1) any problem in adding a third port hole per side and I assume right behind the wing hole rather than in front of the cross bar.
2) What size? I feel like the 8" ones would be better to work with.
3) Is the tube just fiberglass?
4) What about glassing the tube straight adding a PVC pipe split and glassed over for support?
5) how strong will this fix be (I'll add as much glass as it takes) or has the structural integrity been permentlly compromised.
6) My thought is to clean up the area and smooth it out/ take it down some then add the fiberglass around the areas (maybe the whole tube as an extra 5 pounds doesn't bother me)
7) Would you leave the wings in to keep it aligned or something else like a PVC tube?
8) How hard is the fix? The car repair shop that does some fiberglass was afraid it might turn into $1500. He is a friend and I took the boat back for no charge as I got the feeling he didn't want to dive into something that he may not do right and I'd be mad.
A couple ports are $50 and the fiberglass can't be much more.

Thanks in advance and if its easier to call me or email direct let me know.
Drew
[email protected]